Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing needles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing needles

I'm having trouble trying to sew some beads on my cross stitch, some of beads will let the needle I'm using through but others won't. I'm using the thinest needles I can find but can't remember what I've used before. Think I asked on here before and milliners needles comes to mind but not sure what 'size' I need. I didn't like the last ones too much because they were too long but worked well.

If I look hard enough I might be able to find them but can't be bothered. lol

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Waterlily; 30-05-2020 at 03:13 PM.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I've a big selection of needles but none that are as fine as it sounds like you need, I reckon Roz might be your best bet - she usually pops in after tea.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JM I've found some called beading needles. I'm not sure if the higher or lower nos are the thinest. I've ordered size 12 because I think they looked thinner than 10s but I'm probably wrong. They were still very long, much prefer shorter ones as I only need to put one bead on at a time. Long ones seem to get in the way for me lol.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I always buy multi sized packs of needles Think last lot I got were a few pounds for 25 and use the smallest for beading
    They are normal sized length needles
    As they were cheap there is no sizes marked on the packet
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I usually do Jan but none of them were thin enough. They go right up to the eye and that's it. Saying that I would say about half of the beads have gone over OK. You would think they'd all be the same wouldn't you!!!!!
    I love flowers

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to use the needles that come in the Mill Hill kits as they are especially thin, and made here in the UK by John James https://www.jjneedles.com/buy-needles/beading

Jane Greenoff uses their needles, but has them gold plated. I have tried what she calls beading needles, but have found they are too thick for most of the Mill Hill beads. I also find her needle more difficult to thread than the ones in the Mill Hill kits.

Mill Hill seed beads come in two sizes,the smallest size are petite beads, and believe me they are teeny, more hole than bead I reckon. It is rare that the needle supplied doesn't go through the hole. There is always one of course, but hey ho, as they give oodles in each kit I am not going to complain. Sometimes there is more than enough to do the design twice, though they have never included more than the required number of treasures! :(

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to say that size 12 is finer than the 10's. They also come in two different lengths.

Roz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Roz.

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same needles as Roz when I am using seed beads - but the size of the hole in each bead does vary and they don't all slide down the needle. I find I prefer long needles because they make it easier to pick up individual beads.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got stocked up last time I went to Donny show with John James needles - hence why I have a boxful lol ! The lady was lovely and so helpful too.

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !