Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it with me? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is it with me? lol

Decided to buy the Big and Little Crochet books a while ago, I've got 69 now. They come with a pattern for a hexagon for a throw plus the yarn. I've managed to do 1 from the pattern and 1 that I've slightly amended but can I understand the patterns for the others I've tried (about 6), no I can't. The abbreviation key doesn't make sense to me when it describes how to do the stitch.

Has anyone else bought this or know anyone else who has. I'm finding it really hard to understand and I've got a big dustbin bag full of the yarn to use!!!lol
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I've found instructions for the first 10 hexagons on youtube so that will help.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

It is possible that the patterns have mistakes in them.
    Just spotted an amendment to issue 38
    https://www.facebook.com/bigandlittlecrochet/

May be worth having a look to see if that is the case for some of the ones that you are having problems with
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lioness

There seems to be loads with amendments Lioness , I've only ever received one of them bad isn't it. Googled it to find this out.

It's probably me but I'm really finding the abreviations hard to follow.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh that's not good! I sent for the Sheepjes Sophie's Book last week (its on delayed dispatch but shouldn't have been- it was ordered straightaway) and the lovely lady who wrote it - and was doing the dems did say something about being used to American terms herself and having to convert what she was telling 'us' to UK terms. As i admire crochet but consider myself not much better that useless I'm hoping she's remembered to do the book in UK terms ! Hope you get it sorted Pam.
    Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

It's flippin annoying when there are mistakes in instructions because often we dont realise that could be the case and end up wasting hours trying to work out why something isnt working.
    Its even more annoying when the companies cannot be bothered to set up a page where you can find the corrections and avoid getting frustrated. These days it should be easy to upload them on a website. They are quick to take your money but not so quick to sort out their errors.

I am new to crochet but prefer to read charts rather than written instructions. The symbols are universal and it doesnt matter whether they are US or UK terms. My brain also digests pictures better than a page of words!

I am sure you will enjoy using your book whether they use US or UK terms

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Lioness, I didn't realise there were symbols, I did go on a learn-to-crochet course in Hull about 4 years ago and I loved it but the ladies all seemed to know what they were doing and I felt so 'thick'. The patterns in the book I've sent for are different to what I've seen before but the lady assured us they were easy and suitable for beginners.............I'd hate to disappoint her lol !!
    Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

One reason why they don't tend to use symbols is that they tend to take up more room than the written word. I think it is also somewhat of a problem for the printers. I know I have struggled with symbols myself as I like to cross off the rows as I have done them, having photocopied them first of course. The same applies to knitting.

Haven't got the books myself, so can't comment, but I do know I have had lots of problems with bought crochet patterns. There were some glaring ones in the DMC range. I think there were about six animals, and every one of them used the same basic body pattern, so everyone of them was wrong. At least Kerry Lord gets it right, I just struggle to work in the round when it comes to tails, etc. In fact when I did the reindeer I gave up altogether and did my own thing.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I've given up with that for a while, can't be bothered to sit by the computer to learn how to do the first ones.

Gone back to knitting squares for a blanket that I started probably years ago. I understand knitting patterns much better I think.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

I love flowers

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    I've given up with that for a while, can't be bothered to sit by the computer to learn how to do the first ones.

Gone back to knitting squares for a blanket that I started probably years ago. I understand knitting patterns much better I think.
    They certainly seem to have less mistakes in knitting patterns. It was something that was mentioned when I used to go to Dot's shop. There was a crochet group that shared the same table as us cross stitchers on a Monday. They were always having problems understanding the crochet patterns. One of the ladies who made a lot of knitted baby clothes said she had never encountered a problem with a knitting pattern, but crochet was a whole different ball game.

Roz
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog