Thread: I'm really stuck!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm really stuck!!!!!!

Thought I was quite good at knitting but I bought Knit & Stitch Creative mags some time ago and started on the patchwork collection and have given up with two or three of the squares.

One of the abbreviations is ssk = slip,slip knit worked thus: sl next 2 sts k-wise, insert left needle into the 2 slipped sts from left to right and knit them together. Cant fathom it out, I'm assuming that it means slip the stitches from the left needle to the right needle. Probably me being daft but I can't work out how to knit them that way round
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I was confused by the same abbreviation in a cardigan I just knitted. What I did was slip the stitches across and then move them back onto the original needle. The process put a twist on them which made a raglan edge. Seemed a bit of a faff for something I could do with slip one, knit one and pass the slip stitch over!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched this video and she does exactly as CSF did: she slips the stitches back to the left needle then knits into the back, but the way she does it she could just knit into the back instead of completing the slip back to the left needle. I'm not describing it very well, but (unlike a lot of these how-to videos) it is a well shot video and does show the process clearly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iiu9Ej-LGo
    This one shows it in more detail and done all in one move:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aFvPWenmWE
    Last edited by PurplePenny; 04-07-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you PP, I was getting in a complete muddle with where to put the wool to do the stitch.
    I love flowers

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

It would make more sense if it said knit the two stitches together through the back of loops. All this slipping them off one needle and onto another just to slip them back again is a right faff. I usually do slip 1, knit 1, pass slip stitch over.

Some folks do seem to like to make life difficult. I have a book on sock knitting where the short row heel just does not make sense. As I have done short row heels using double knitting for years, I do know how to do them. Mind you, in 4 ply I wouldn't have thought they would have been very hard wearing. As it was I used to have to knit an extra heel to strengthen them as they wore out quite quickly when worn in wellies.

Roz
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've given up with the squares, carrying on with a baby blanket that I got from either Aldi or Lidl it's not for anyone just fancied doing some knitting for a change.

I've decided to do some baby jackets too. I've got loads of patterns from before my son was born (40 next year). Not sure if they are still in 'fashion' but I love them lol.

Finding it quite hard to find some nice yarn, I'm looking for the multicoloured yarn but not the dark stuff. Looking for something that's neutral ie not boy or girl. There are a few greens and yellows which I'm not too keen on, would rather have something with pinks and blues in.

Did find some in the end though.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't a fan of multicoloured wool, but have bought some in sales recently to knit cardigans for little girls and I've been pleased with the effect. Looks like fairisle without all the hassle of kitting with different colours. The recipients like them as well - multicoloured so they look like unicorns!

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

The main problem I have with self striping yarns is that I always want the sleeves to match, so end up having to unravel the ball until I reach the bit where it looks right. Not that the unravelled bit goes to waste as it usually gets used up as part of a hat.

Not done a great deal of knitting or crochet recently, way too hot. Working on a baby jacket/hat for the babies, should get a couple of hats out of the rest of the ball. Promised to knit myself another pair of socks way back in March. Finally turned the heel on the first one a couple of weeks ago, but that is as far as I have got.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog