Thread: Dick Brune Cross Stitch Quilt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dick Brune Cross Stitch Quilt

Not sure if the pictures will post properly, but here is my completed Dick Bruna cross stitch quilt. I used two different sets of Dutch patterns and a book of story characters by Adele Welsby to create the different squares because the Dutch alphabet isn't the same as English and the words were in Dutch! But I got there in the end, even if it was 2 years after the birthday it was intended for!

Lottie Quilt.jpgLottie Cushion.jpg

I made a cushion in Miffy fabric to go with it and added my Grandaughter's name onto it with iron on vinyl.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

What I can see of them looks good. I tried clicking on the photos, but the thingie just kept going round and round.

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

What's the difference between dutch and english alphabets?

It looks fab.

Post Thanks / Like

They use IJ instead of Y - so on the kit I had the picture was for icecream. I managed to find a Dick Bruna picture of a yacht to fill that space. A different balance of letters also made it hard to find pictures for every letter - loads of choice for s but nothing for m , for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely quilts CSF, and a lot of love in them.

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can see they look absolutely beautiful.

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    They use IJ instead of Y - so on the kit I had the picture was for icecream. I managed to find a Dick Bruna picture of a yacht to fill that space. A different balance of letters also made it hard to find pictures for every letter - loads of choice for s but nothing for m , for example.
    I didn't realise that the pattern was in Dutch. Normally it would not matter, but if you want to use an alphabet with a picture depicting each letter then it's not so easy. It must have been a mammoth task to find the right pictures in a Dick Bruna cross stitch design, to match the others. Well done on finishing it.
    Just did a search and found an embroidery kit with a Dick Bruna alphabet. They used a moon for "m". (Pako.nl) What did you use in the end?
    Last edited by Lioness; 03-08-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I used that design - Miffy sitting on the moon. I nearly did a town Mayor, but thought that was not a useful word for a small child!
    Here are the words I used:
    A - apple, B - bear, C - castle, D - duck, E- Eskimo, F- flower, G - grapes, H - haystack, I - Indian, J - jacket, K - kay, L - lion, M - moon, N- nest, O - owl, P- pencil, Q - queen, R - rabbit, S - sailor, T - top, V - violin, W - whale, X - xylophone, Y - yacht and Z - zebra.

I love the simplicity of Dick Bruna's art - last summer we visited Utrecht, which was his home town and where there is a whole shop devoted to all things Miffy. It was hard not to spend lots of money in there!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post