Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what this is please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone know what this is please

https://ibb.co/NWbh13J

I bought some new pencil crayons and this was with the set. It's hollow so just like a tube really. The metal ends are the same but one is smaller. The pencils fit in one end but very loosly (sp) and don't go in the other end at all. Haven't gor a clue what it's for and there are no instructions.

The crayons and thingy came in a beautiful case as a set.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

A pencil extender? I assume that this enables you to still use a pencil once it gets too short to hold comfortably.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah I tried to get the pencil in the narrow end yesterday and couldn't did it with a bit more force today after reading your post and it went in. Thank you Lioness.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

What a good idea! Nothing worse than having to throw away stubs because they're too small to handle.

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Just found this on eBay and apparently each end is for different sized pencils! Must be a popular thing with artists as there are a lot of them just under "pencil extender" as Lioness says.

172061099552 Double Ended Pencil Extender

A great tool to increase the life of your short pencil stubs. This double ended pencil extender holds all standard size pencils on one end and can accommodate slight larger diameter pencils on the other end. Made from plastic and metal.

Length approx 135mm

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

What a brill idea. I reckon some artists probably use an extended pencil as some use a brush, right at the very end of the shaft.

Must admit I wouldn't have had a clue what it was. :)

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Another one here who has never heard of or seen a pencil extender, so there is my new fact for Sunday !

If I had to guess I would have assumed it was to make a normal size pencil even longer for drawing things like landscape backgrounds sort of like using really long paint brushes, how wrong was I.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish that they had this kind of thing in schools! Having worked in a primary school, I was horrified at the waste. They had half length Lyra pencils which I don't think are cheap. By the time you used/ sharpened off a couple of inches, there wasn't left to be able to grip the pencil properly. So inevitably half was thrown away.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Coloured pencils were expensive when I was a child, so I had to use them down to the last half inch. Paints were not to bad as I received a box every C******** from Santa. ;) I think there was s'posed to be 99 in the box. Cost about a £1 if memory serves.

The Lyra pencils are quite expensive. I remember paying over £1 each for the watercolour version way back in the 1980's. I think watercolour pencils are a lot cheaper than they used to be, even the very expensive Daler Rowney. The only Lyra pencils I have now are the polychrome ones I have for parching. Seldom use them, but they are there is I need them.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as we're on about colouring, I am confuzzled again with my Groovi (it happening alot these days!).

On the website there's 3 lots of colouring mediums now, the 30 'exclusives' in the tub - which I have, then there's two different sets of pencils. I avidly watch the brilliant Linda W and she uses 'PolyChromo' which I assume is another sort? and she has lovely results. Now then, when I have tried to remove colour from the back of my parchment it doesn't seem to come away or blend like it does with the different pencils all the experts use. Are the exclusives not meant to do this does anyone know please?