Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AALL & Create

Post Thanks / Like

Default AALL & Create

I've been catching up with a lot of Hochanda shows lately - the iPad on low volume on the desk next to my computer whilst working.

I quite like the ALL and Create shows and Abs is very personable. It's evident that the products are very good sellers but I can't help thinking that they're all similar.

Abs himself is lovely, but just seems to create layer upon layer of stuff. Tracy EVANS (I love the way they always use her full name) seems to work more methodically and I quite like her finished cards.

BUT Wednesday evening/yesterday, Abs spent two shows working on an elongated card. Now if I had sent this to friends or family, I swear that they would think that I'd been taking some funny pills. There's an image of a naked 'person' (reminds me of Belsen, sorry), a pair of red wellies (how random is that?), some green cogs and oversized leaves. Oh, and some washi tape (soooooo cooooooool according to Leonie about 50 times). So what would you actually DO with this sort of stuff?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like much that AALL and Create do.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the random numbers that appear on lots of projects and wish someone would explain what they represent.

In in the main I don't really understand any of the random composition that is being pushed by Hochanda at the moment either. Suppose after losing most of their mainstream suppliers they are market making in a different direction. I wouldn't give most of it any house room at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't watch Hochanda very often, mostly because I usually seem to catch a 'chuck things on at random' show. I also wondered about the numbers thing, just assumed I was out of touch with the meaningful trend. I used to like what Leonie did and learn from her but now she gushes about things I'm not impressed by. Once ot twice I've caught glimpses of parchment type shows but I steer away as I don't want to be tempted by a whole new area of craft that could turn out to be very addictive (and therefore expensive...)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love most of the Aall & Create stamps; the type you're talking about, anyway. I don't like the little children with flowers for eyes etc. They've had some good price reductions recently so I've bought some stamps and stencils. They do get a bit same-y, though, you're right about that.

Mostly they appeal to the mixed media/art journalling people.

As to what Abs has been making on the latest shows, I've only seen the ones where he does the backgrounds with stencils, washi and a bit of stamping.

I think Tim Holtz started the trend for random numbers. AFAIK they don't mean anything, it's just a background pattern like using text that you can't read.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you've started this thread Victoria - I cannot abide any of the ALL & Create at all. I get goosebumps when that young man is on and just have to turn it off. I don't know why, and although I don't stamp or colour in myself I do watch other people who do. Just gives me the heebie jeebies.

Borderline, you are soooo right not to watch the parchment shows, its extremely addictive !

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, I like Abs and find him very easy going and personable. But I prefer Tracy Evans demoing as she actually makes cards with the products and they’re not too weird for want of a better word.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

JM is correct Borderline, parching can be addictive, not to mention expensive. Me on the other hand has to be dragged kicking and screaming away from Jane Greenoff and Rowandean goodies. ;)

All this messy stuff doesn't do a thing for me, never has, but it seems to be getting worse. A case of let's stick anything and everything onto a piece of card, or in Leonie's case, a drawing pad. Obviously there are folks who like that sort of thing, they wouldn't be flogging it if they didn't. Of course it could be mass hysteria, Leonie does it and loves it, so everyone else follow suit. Sort of follow the leader/sheep type thing.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RozMinis View Post
    JM is correct Borderline, parching can be addictive, not to mention expensive. Me on the other hand has to be dragged kicking and screaming away from Jane Greenoff and Rowandean goodies. ;)

All this messy stuff doesn't do a thing for me, never has, but it seems to be getting worse. A case of let's stick anything and everything onto a piece of card, or in Leonie's case, a drawing pad. Obviously there are folks who like that sort of thing, they wouldn't be flogging it if they didn't. Of course it could be mass hysteria, Leonie does it and loves it, so everyone else follow suit. Sort of follow the leader/sheep type thing.

Roz
    Talking about everyone else following suit, I’ve just seen a Phil Martin show in which he had collage-style stamps and brayered paint and gesso onto his stamped image. John Next Door was using gel plates last time I saw him. It’s definitely spreading!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen Phil a few times over the past couple of days and couldnt believe his change of direction - and he actually had ink on his hands which is sooo unusual for him. his rose stamp was getting cleaned up with tissue too. Did laugh at his kitchen roll covering the platform of his stamping press but at same time thought it was a good idea. He seems to have diversified alot. Did like the eyelet dies but very expensive at £39 and I wouldnt want 13 dies same shape.
    Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !