Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattern prices - again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pattern prices - again

Nice lady on this morning on the 7am show (Pattern Preacher) and had some nice things on, only caught last 15 - 20 minutes but my goodness, the patterns I saw were £15.99 each plus £2.99 p&p. Surely it cant cost that to draft? Don't know whether they were full size pieces or you'd to extend them yourself. I know its been mentioned before about pattern costs but to me it will put people off especially if they're new sewers.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the pattern for the Janet Clare artisan apron a couple of years ago when it cost me £9.99, which I thought was pricey. It is now £11.99. With the cost of material as well I'm not surprised people are put of making clothes when they are so cheap in high street shops.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

That was why I gave up making my own clothes. By the time I had bought the material, buttons, zips, and the blessed pattern, it cost a fortune. Anywhoo, in more recent times I have bought my clothes from charity shops. The shops I go to check the items are fit for sale and clean. Anything that isn't goes for recycling. I always buy undies new, but apart from underskirts I never made them myself anyway. :)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

My sister has always had good taste in clothes and virtually lives in charity shops, and she lives in a nice area so it's good quality. When she came over last time she looked like a model, her top and jeans were lovely but her shoes were to die for. I said don't tell me they came from a CS ? she said oh yes, paid £15 for the shoes - never been worn - and the lady put them in the original box which had a sale price ticket of £76 on it. Her whole outfit that day came to £22 including a sheer scarfe !
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmissis View Post
    My sister has always had good taste in clothes and virtually lives in charity shops, and she lives in a nice area so it's good quality. When she came over last time she looked like a model, her top and jeans were lovely but her shoes were to die for. I said don't tell me they came from a CS ? she said oh yes, paid £15 for the shoes - never been worn - and the lady put them in the original box which had a sale price ticket of £76 on it. Her whole outfit that day came to £22 including a sheer scarfe !
    Someone I used to work with also bought all of her clothes in a charity shop, and always look v smart. I think if you are lucky to have a shop whose donors have good taste and no money worries then it is possible to kit yourself out well for very little. I personally hate shopping for clothes and worse still for shoes, and dont have the patience to look though assortments of stuff to see if there is anything suitable.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I buy lots of bits and bobs in our local charity shop and it was a great source of suits for my sons when they were in the Sixth Form. My younger one did Art and Ceramics as two of his A levels, so I wasn't going to pay full price for a suit that would end up covered in paint or clay. My elder one, who has always hankered after designer labels, found a Harrods' wool overcoat for £10 that was great when waiting for trains on cold platforms in winter. However, I have been put off buying clothes there when I read an article that said that actress June Brown had a relative who worked there and it was the source of many of the clothes that she wore as Dot Cotton!!!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an old Simplicity pattern for a skirt - bought from C & H Fabrics (does anyone remember them?) and it was 4/- four shillings.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

To the best of my knowledge C&H Fabrics are still going strong - closed their shop in Maidstone, but I have used the one in Tunbridge Wells during the last year. Haven't been to TW since lockdown though. They were still in Canterbury when I visited last summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CSF, we used to have ones in Bromley and Lewisham or maybe Catford but couldn't see them when I googled. lol
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    I buy lots of bits and bobs in our local charity shop and it was a great source of suits for my sons when they were in the Sixth Form. My younger one did Art and Ceramics as two of his A levels, so I wasn't going to pay full price for a suit that would end up covered in paint or clay. My elder one, who has always hankered after designer labels, found a Harrods' wool overcoat for £10 that was great when waiting for trains on cold platforms in winter. However, I have been put off buying clothes there when I read an article that said that actress June Brown had a relative who worked there and it was the source of many of the clothes that she wore as Dot Cotton!!!
    She might have paid for them

My brother & sister in law lived in a posh part of North London
    She bought all her clothes from the charity shops
    A lot were designer or at least top high street brands

Someone I knew volunteered in a Red Cross shop but left as the staff were sorting out the best stuff a taking it
    I used to donate a lot to them too
    But after I heard what was going on I took stuff elsewhere
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13: