Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dvla scam email !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dvla scam email !!

Morning all. This is a daft place to put this alert but I know we have members who haven't got access to the studio weekly chats etc., and I feel it's important - I nearly fell for it myself.

So.... this morning I went onto my email account and as I glanced through them, there was one that said "Driving Stardards Agency" Urgent application attention needed.

I clicked on and there, full Government logo headed, was an urgent message about my application information being inconsistent and I urgently needed to click onto and update with up-to-date details or my license would become void!! then there followed pages & pages of information about Covid etc..

I thought what information of mine do I have to update?? I didn't click the link and came out of it. Then I went back & re-read it all.

I came off again & hovered over the title to bring up the email addy of the sender, and it was a load of gobbledegook. I've had spoof stuff before but nothing as authentic looking as this - ever. Then I realised even there was spelling mistakes too, like it said Stardards.

Anyway, fore warned is fore armed as they say peeps, so please don't even open it. I guess the link to update would be wanting all your details and they'll update for a small fee - but once they'v those, they'll empty your account.

Phew ! I've enough going on in my life and can well do without low-life's like this, the "Bar-Stewards"
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads-up, JM. Sadly these ratbags must be able to con enough money out of people to make these scams worth their while. And I've read that the fraud prevention people just laugh at the gullibility of folks and do burger all about it.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar one this morning as well JM. It said I had a fine to pay for illegal parking or some such thing, a £10 fine, or if I didn't pay immediately it would be £100. The only thing I have parked in the last six months is my b*m on a couple of benches at Kirk Balk cemetery!

What really annoyed is it came into one of my talktalk accounts. I would have expected talktalk to have stopped it, but nope, they let it through. Not happy. Anywhoo I have forwarded it to report@phishing.gov.uk so with luck they will do something about it.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had emails from so called PayPal amazon nexflix
    Saying to renter my payment details yeah right
    Do you want my card number and paid as well

Yesterday it was phone calls about an accident I’ve been in
    And one from HMRC
    I might not have any qualifications but I’m not that stupid
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Yep they're b***ers arent they, I still cant believe I almost clicked onto the blessed link. I put them down to the "phishing" option too Roz.

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

I got caught out once - I'd just got a new card and had lots of emails from genuine companies asking me to update my details as regular payments hadn't gone through. It purported to come from Netflix, and as I pushed the button I realised that I didn't pay them on that card. Within seconds I had phoned the card company and cancelled my card.
    Then I got another raft of emails because monthly payments hadn't gone through again - but I checked them all carefully to make sure no more scams got through. Normally I spot scams straight away, but in a bunch of genuine emails they can be missed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had three this past week, they were forwarded on to phishing.gov. What with those and ones sending invoices and threatening me that I owe them money and pay up or else crap. All deleted.

Tricia

http://www.townrow.org.uk/

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I once had a brand new credit card scammed in a shop. I had only used it twice, the first time was when I bought a suitcase from what I thought was a reputable shop. The second one was the same day at Dot's shop, if I couldn't trust her then I couldn't trust anyone. The card company were very quick off the mark and put a stop on it. When I explained I'd only had the card a week, the gentleman on the phone said it was very unusual as they normally wait several months before trying to use it.

Another credit card was also scammed when I made a hotel booking online. I know it was the hotel as they were the only ones, apart from the card company, who had my telephone number.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I've recently had a text purporting to be from the Halifax saying "You have successfully paired a new device. If this was not you, click here." I didn't click.

More worryingly, my husband had an email or two last week from Netflix Bogota about his subscription, in Spanish, quoting a credit card number he didn't recognise, so he ignored it. This weekend there was a payment pending on his credit card for Netflix, only £3.50 But sometimes fraudsters try a small payment first then go bigger, so he contacted the card company. His card expires at the end of this month so he has been sent a new one but never used it as he is still using the old one. The payment has been made on the new one. How is this possible? He has physically got the new one but never used it in store or on line. He received emails so someone knows both his email address and his brand new credit card details. It must be someone at the credit card company, mustn't it?
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's terrible Mitzi, I hope he's been able to speak to someone in authority, it smacks of being a staff member doesnt it?