Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky sheets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sticky sheets

Ages ago I bought some double-sided sticky paper, can't remember the name of it (but I could go and look.) You stick it to the back of card before die-cutting, then you just peel the backing off and stick your die cut to your project. It should make it easier for intricate / fine line dies instead of trying to spread glue on the back of them. That's the theory, anyway.

Finally got round to trying it (using some of my huge stash of C******** dies I mentioned on the Fess Up thread.) Not impressed. It makes it far harder to separate the die-cut from the surrounding card and to poke out all the little bits. Even though it cuts right through including the backing paper with no problem, the sticky layer seems to re-seal itself to the surrounding area once you remove it from the die. Then once you've got all the little bits poked out, you have to remove the backing paper without distorting the die too much (remember, this is an intricate die with fine lines.)

In the end I decided it would be much easier just to smear a bit of glue on the back of the die after all. I'll probably use up the sheets just as glorified double-sided tape for matting and layering.

Does anyone else use this and what do you think of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Have a roll of something that has spider in its name somewhere. When attempting to use it I can never peel both sides cleanly so I have resorted to some sticky dots sheets which I got from C&C and are easier to control.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it all the time - when I remember LOL! I mainly use Wild Spider but I have some with no branding on it. I have the rolls in various sizes - A6 throught to 12 inch.
    PP I don't understand the 'peel both sides'? My rolls don't have 2 sides of backing to be removed only one. I lie the roll on the desk and push it away from me while holding the edge - so the sticky side is upwards. I place the card on top and then cut around it.
    I agree Mitzi sometimes it can be a struggle seperating the die cut from the waste while trying to leave the backing on. With regard to poking the bits out, I find they come out once you take the backing off.
    What I do depends on how the die cut looks once I've taken the die away from the card. I try to take the waste away before removing the die cut from the die, sometimes I have to hold the die cut down or cut away the backing. But if the die cut has fallen out of the die it can be a bit messy! I have gotten into a right pickle sometimesbutstill prefer to use it over glue.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that explains it as I thought I could use it like the stuff I use to use called contact that was sticky on both sides so that I could have stuck some card down, cut out a die and then peeled the back off to stick it onto a project. It is obviously a blind spot I have!

Post Thanks / Like

It is sticky on both sides. If you think of a normal roll of double sided tape, you peel off what you want to use - one side is sticky and goes on your card the other sticky side is revealed by pulling off the 'backing'. At least that's the idea but as Mitzi and I have discovered you can get in a bit of a mess with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine isn't a roll. It's A4 sheets and each side has a peel-off cover.

You've reminded me that I do have a couple of wide rolls somewhere that I haven't used either. Will have to see if they are any better.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Sue Wilson used to use the A4 sheets a lot years ago. She used it more as a base for glitter I think rather than adhering die cuts, as in filling the spaces in the die cut with different coloured glitter.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both, haven't actually used the roll yet. Must get a 'round tuit' I suppose. It fact the roll is on the shelf looking very reproachfully at me. Well it is gonna have to wait as I am still fiddling about with my new laptop.

Discovered how to turn the backlight on the keyboard off. Been fiddling with my assorted music, including the stuff I can listen to via Amazon Prime.

Found out I can draw my name on my emails. Now I bet you all really wanted to know that! :)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I remember Sue Wilson used to use the A4 sheets a lot years ago. She used it more as a base for glitter I think rather than adhering die cuts, as in filling the spaces in the die cut with different coloured glitter.

She still does it, usually with "Frosted Glitterbits". She must go through tons of the stuff.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is called Stick it and all the blurb on the packet is about die cutting, including a quote from Ken Oliver saying "Applying glue to intricate die cut pieces can be a sticky mess... not with Stick it! Use Stick it with all of your die cuts... It makes applying them to your projects perfect and easy every time!"