Thread: Dies that won't cut properly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dies that won't cut properly

When I was sorting out my craft room the other day I noticed some dies that hadn't been put away. I decided to try all the dies I've got (quite a few) managed fairly well with most of them and generally they cut well. Did all the smallish ones first to use the cards that had been damaged when they were stored in the old sheds.

Started on the larger ones and a lot of them didn't cut well. Tried a shim and the magnetic sheets I've got (even two together lol) Still wouldn't cut properly. Tried them on different bits of the platform but still no luck.

One thing I haven't done is cut foil with them.

Most of the cut is ok but a few bits haven't been cut. Not sure what to do. The worst ones are square patterned frames probably 4 or 5 inches square,

I've tried cutting the bits with a knife but it wasn't very successful and took a long time.

Any ideas please.

Might go up later and try the foil but I've got a feeling it didn't help much when I tried it before.
    I love flowers

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

The foil idea didn't work for me when I tried it either. I ended up binning the dies in the end. Luckily there were only a couple of them. I was once told that foil works well on scissors. Well it doesn't, totally wrecked them in fact, even the chap in town couldn't get them back to what they were before I used the foil on them. Lesson learned. :(

Roz
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried placing them diagonally on the plate?
    However it could be that some of them just havent been made well. We tend to blame ourselves if something doesnt work, but sometimes its the product that is faulty.

Another thought is that they may just be slightly thinner than normal
    Last edited by Lioness; 11-07-2021 at 07:21 PM.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever had one die that didn't cut, back when I had a Spellbinder Calibur. Nothing would help, all other dies were OK. Glad I didn't throw it away though as it cuts fine on my Tangerine. Tangerine uses the same plates as the Calibur so I've no idea what that was all about.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    Have you tried placing them diagonally on the plate?
    However it could be that some of them just havent been made well. We tend to blame ourselves if something doesnt work, but sometimes its the product that is faulty.

Another thought is that they may just be slightly thinner than normal
    I think I've tried everything Lioness lol. I can't remember if I tried them when I first got them, normally I did but can't remember now as they are fairly old.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Borderline View Post
    I've only ever had one die that didn't cut, back when I had a Spellbinder Calibur. Nothing would help, all other dies were OK. Glad I didn't throw it away though as it cuts fine on my Tangerine. Tangerine uses the same plates as the Calibur so I've no idea what that was all about.
    Thanks Borderline, I'll try them with another cutter see if that works.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried putting a whim just over the parts that don’t cut? Also try a poly pocket or cellophane bag - I’m assuming you haven’t got any Cut Tidy. I used to think Cut Tidy was just a marketing ploy and used a poly pocket instead. Then a tried Cut Tidy and it works far better. I could sent you a sheet if you want to try it.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I have several dies. that won’t cut
    I tried the tin foil
    Tried shims, turned the dies
    Cut them upside down
    Still don’t work even on the xcut
    Had a closer look with a magnifying glass
    The cutting part was rounded so no wonder it would not cut no matter the pressure and some were not deep enough
    I have found that the crafters companion are the worst
    Only 2 dies from China were duff

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pyjama princess View Post
    Have you tried putting a whim just over the parts that don’t cut? Also try a poly pocket or cellophane bag - I’m assuming you haven’t got any Cut Tidy. I used to think Cut Tidy was just a marketing ploy and used a poly pocket instead. Then a tried Cut Tidy and it works far better. I could sent you a sheet if you want to try it.
    lol Pamela and thank you. I don't know what a whim is or a poly pocket. I'll try a cellophane bag if I can find one.

Don't worry about sending a sheet of cut tidy, I'll buy some but thank you very much for the offer.

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

It's silly little bits that don't cut, if the die is intricate perhaps three or four bits don't cut out. Will have a look tomorrow to see if it's the same bits each time.

I love flowers