Thread: On Line Workshops

Post Thanks / Like

Default On Line Workshops

I have always wanted to do a workshop with Janet Clare - she seems like a good teacher when she appears on Create and Craft - but they aren't in the school holidays. So I was delighted to open an e-mail from Crafty Monkeys and discover an on-line workshop for 3 hours on a Friday evening. I've booked my place even though all I normally want to do on a Friday after a 10 period teaching day is crawl into bed!
    But in these dark days it will be something to look forward to. I'm having to self-isolate at the moment as one of my tutor group has tested positive, and who knows what things might be like when we have to return to school. TBH I wouldn't be going out much anyway, but having to get DH to do the shopping is a nightmare. I was just getting ready to go out for a big weekly shop when I got the track and trace phone call from school. Mind you, that was 5 days after the end of term and in the gap I had sung in an the church choir for an Advent carol service (plus 2 rehearsals) and made a couple of trips to the local shops. No symptoms so far and as I always stay well distanced from the students in tutor time I would have been surprised if I had caught anything or passed anything on to others. The odd thing is that I wasn't asked to self-isolate when children I teach have tested positive, even though I am in smaller rooms with less space to keep a good 2 metre distance!
    Has anyone else done an on-line workshop? I am happy just to watch and listen and not have to set up my sewing machine etc., especially as it will be a tight turnaround as it starts at 6pm and I am lucky to be home from work by 5.30.
    Would be grateful for any hints.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I've done a few but they have been art journalling so no sewing machine noise. The ones I've done have been via Facebook Lives but the video is then saved to the FB group so you can watch it again afterwards. The main advantage of doing it live is you can ask questions as it goes along.

Some I've just watched and taken notes for later. When I've tried to play along I don't stress about keeping up and go at my own (slow) pace.

Main tips are to make sure no one else is using the WiFi unless you have super fast broadband. Get yourself a drink and go to the loo before it starts. Make yourself comfortable and enjoy it.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the hints Mitzi- I've discovered we can't have two Zooms at the same time after DH had his on-line German class while I was trying to do a Zoom Parents' Evening. It was not a great success, especially as we live in a rural area where a lot of people have dodgy WiFi connections anyway! However, Friday evening is normally meeting free for both of us, so should be fine on that count.
    My plan is just to take notes and then try it all out on Saturday while it is fresh in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy it. You deserve some fun after a long and hard term!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post