Thread: I got a mention!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I got a mention!

I finally got a mention! I'm forever emailing in when they don't know something and ask anyone who knows to email in. There have been times when I've emailed in the answer they are looking for and in the next show, several hours later, they say that they still don't know the answer and ask again for someone to email in!

A couple of days ago they kept on referring to a beaded worker bee kit as "he". In the end I could stand it no longer and emailed in to point out that worker bees are female and male bees are drones. For once they did say it during the programme and thanked me for letting them know!

I'm often astounded at the level of ignorance displayed. The crafter with the talons was talking about leaving Christmas decorations up and mentioned that the Queen is leaving hers up. She thought it was till the 6th or 7th February, but she didn't know what it was for. I'm at home saying "Candlemas, 2nd February - the Presentation of Jesus and Cleansing of Mary at the Temple". I didn't bother to email in though :)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well done on getting mentioned. The level of ignorance sometimes annoys me too but often it seems to be when certain presenters are filling in while the guest resets for the next demo and seems desperate for something to say.
    With the first Ranger show I was shouting "It's pronounced Deena" at the telly when Leonie and Alex kept saying "Die-na" Wakley. Someone pointed it out because they corrected it today.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well done for getting the mention!

I am often surprised at what I hear, for example the confusion over flower names. They must have seen so many flower stamps etc by now someone must know what they are called. The same with birds. Do these people not have gardens?

Also (I'm sorry, but you've got me started now) I get really upset with daft things such as recently there was a set of Charisma of a squirrel playing with blackberries but it was so outrageously out of proportion that the blackberries were almost bigger than the squirrel. It looked like they had taken old House Mouse artwork and just changed the animal. And rabbits that can sit under toadstools... and reindeer that are actually red deer...

I'll shut up now.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzi View Post
    Well done on getting mentioned. The level of ignorance sometimes annoys me too but often it seems to be when certain presenters are filling in while the guest resets for the next demo and seems desperate for something to say.
    With the first Ranger show I was shouting "It's pronounced Deena" at the telly when Leonie and Alex kept saying "Die-na" Wakley. Someone pointed it out because they corrected it today.
    I have a similar bugbear - when foreign company names are mis-pronounced. Although not craft related, but Le Creuset and Moda in Pelle come to mind on QVC. If you are representing the company albeit in another country, you should make the effort to pronounce the name correctly. Similarly craft presenters should learn to correctly pronounce the names of designers, fellow crafters and guests. Its a question of being bothered.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for getting a mention PP. Must admit I didn't know that about HM leaving the decorations up until Candlemas. Ours come down on new years eve, but then they do go up in November. I/We like to start the new year with a clean slate so to speak. Also by that time I am desperate to see the photos of Dusty, Jinks and Hazey back on the walls, plus the little mouselings and my other stitchy stuff back where they belong. :)

While we are on the subject of mispronouncing names. The pronunciation of the new Vice President in the US is Kamala, as in Pamela, but with a K rather than a P. Apparently the poor lass gets a bit distraught when folks don't get it right.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Borderline View Post
    I am often surprised at what I hear, for example the confusion over flower names. They must have seen so many flower stamps etc by now someone must know what they are called. The same with birds. Do these people not have gardens?
    That often surprises me too, especially when it is a flower or bird that they've definitly had on before and been told the correct name then. Do they not learn? I don't understand why guests get it wrong - surely you'd find out the correct name and pronunciation while prepping the show.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RozMinis View Post
    The pronunciation of the new Vice President in the US is Kamala, as in Pamela, but with a K rather than a P. Apparently the poor lass gets a bit distraught when folks don't get it right.
    Yes, I think she even made an advert about it with kids saying all the wrong pronunciations. USAans are very good at mispronouncing. I recall a UK interviewer asking Colin Powell why he pronounced his name CO-lin and he replied that he didn't. He says it Col-in like the rest of us, but he's never been able to convince the media of that!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post