Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top trends in card making

Post Thanks / Like

Default Top trends in card making

What trends have you noticed lately?

Bees and honeycomb were very big last year and haven't gone away yet. Still seeing flamingos around a bit too.

Slimline cards seem to be the new big thing. I thought they were the same as DL but learned from today's Creative Nestables show that they are even skinnier, maybe a quarter A4 instead of a third. Of course I've recently stocked up on square cards.

Lots of Buddhist / Zen stuff everywhere, especially mandalas, lotus blossoms and Buddha images.

My personal favourite trend is the astronomy / astrology one although as yet I haven't done anything with it. I think astrology is a load of rubbish but it makes for some nice images.

What have you noticed and do you like or loathe them?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question!

I've heard Julia Watts going on about the slimline cards too but I still prefer square!

So many companies seemed to latch on to the bees and honeycomb trend last year. I bought the Julie Hickey ones and I've used them a lot, including background stamping on one of my January ATCs. They're timeless really.

I wouldn't actively buy any Buddhist/Zen stuff, or the astronomy/astrology stuff but I quite like some of the finished projects made with them. I can't say I really like the airy/fairy stamps like the Lavinia stamps. They all look the same after a while.

Pink Frog Crafts seem to be on quite a lot with the framed cards - Hazel and the others are really good at demoing them, so they might take off.

Quite a few brands seem to be using a lot of background stencils too; they're a cost effective way of doing interesting backgrounds.

And florals seem to go on and on when you think that there couldn't possibly be any more. Again, timeless.

I haven't used a lot of ribbon for a while, apart from my Christmas cards. I used ever such a lot at one time, so this year I'm going to try to finish up odds and ends.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I have noticed any trends, but then I seldom do. It is a case of I know what folks at the fluffits/woofits like, and carry on making them. Not that I have made any cards since November, or maybe it was October, time passes!

Must admit I had taken to using background stencils last year instead of using ds tape and paper. I don't do matting and layering very often, other than when using up old ATC's. Trying to cut down on stuff that can't be recycled.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a square card to a skinny one. Love the bees but bored with flamingos. Sloths seem to be on the rise, yay.
    Not keen on Zen and Buddhist images etc. being used willy-nilly without thought. Astrology, no, but I'm all for astronomy.
    Fairies are forever! Butterflies abound but I'm liking dragonflies for a change.
    Debbie Moore and others persist with the Art Deco and twenties fashion. Steampunk is on-going, but I've never met anyone apart from crafters who really know what that's about (apart from an episode of the New Zealand crime series Brokenwood).
    I've started using stencils and love the different effects you can get, both with bought stencils and ones cut out on Scanncut. I intend to work on combining that with paint-pouring canvases. I've made one I quite liked and have ideas for more.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yes, sloths - I forgot them!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not an animal person (despite being a farmer’s daughter) but I don’t mind insects, birds and butterflies. Absolutely hate House Mouse!

Borderline - you make a good point about people ‘understanding’ the cards we make. I know what you mean about Steampunk, and thinking about AALl & Create - well I don’t even get it half the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I’m not an animal person (despite being a farmer’s daughter) but I don’t mind insects, birds and butterflies. Absolutely hate House Mouse!

Borderline - you make a good point about people ‘understanding’ the cards we make. I know what you mean about Steampunk, and thinking about AALl & Create - well I don’t even get it half the time!
    I love Aall & Create. Not the Janet Klein little people with flowers for eyes, but all the weird and grungy stuff. I agree though that the occasions on which I can use them for cards are limited.

I wish my memory were better and I could remember things like Victoria doesn’t mind insects but doesn’t like cute little mice. Unfortunately that kind of information gets muddled in my head, so if I send you something you hate, I’m sorry and it wasn’t deliberate!

Speaking of insects - beetles are very “on trend”. Lots of companies seem to be doing them. I love them but am a bit scared to use them in case the recipient hates them. I did make a card for my nephew with them and he liked it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I haven't got anything beetle related, must look out for some; my first real job was working with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yay - I'll be on trend - I bought some slimline cards about 10 year ago and still haven't used them! I prefer 5 x 5 and 6 x 6 cards.

Love anything Sizzix and have a few of their dies (cough) including the sloth. I like clean and simple cards so not really 'into' AALL, but I do have a few of the characters with flower eyes.

I have bee dies and stamps, but I'm not really interested in beetles etc. Can't imagine making a card for someone with them on as some people can't stand bugs. Saying that, my friend doesn't even like bees cause he keeps getting stung.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzi View Post
    I love Aall & Create. Not the Janet Klein little people with flowers for eyes, but all the weird and grungy stuff. I agree though that the occasions on which I can use them for cards are limited.

I wish my memory were better and I could remember things like Victoria doesn’t mind insects but doesn’t like cute little mice. Unfortunately that kind of information gets muddled in my head, so if I send you something you hate, I’m sorry and it wasn’t deliberate!

Speaking of insects - beetles are very “on trend”. Lots of companies seem to be doing them. I love them but am a bit scared to use them in case the recipient hates them. I did make a card for my nephew with them and he liked it.
    No such thing as ‘cute little mice’! Evil little beggars.

No need to worry about sending me any type of card because I would still appreciate the effort and skills involved. I just wouldn’t buy certain images or use them myself.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post