Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown challenge March 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lockdown challenge March 2021

Anyone up for another lockdown challenge?
    It is not intended to replace the card and ATC swaps; please support them if you can. However there's no monthly card swap this month so you might be at a loose end...

Rules:

1. Make any art or craft project on the theme(s) below. This might be a card, an art journal page, a quilt, a cross-stitched ornament, crochet item, home decor piece etc. It can be for any purpose; you do not have to send it to anyone on the forum.

2. Post a picture of it on this thread for us all to admire

3. The challenge runs for the month of March. Post as many entries as you like.

THEME(S)

* Metal - use gold/silver/other metallic mirri or glitter mats or die cuts, metallic embossing powders, metal charms or decorative elements etc.
    OR
    * Bokeh effect - if you take a photo and there are out-of-focus lights in the background, they form blurry circles/orbs, usually white but can be coloured. Reproduce this effect.
    OR
    * Spring flowers - needs no explanation.

You can combine the themes or just use one of them

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Mitzi. I have watched a Bokeh demo, so a good excuse to find some more!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this fully fits the Spring Flowers theme but there are some flowers on it! It's a card for one of my sisters' birthday on March 10th.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

That is absolutely beautiful, PJP, and definitely fits the theme. (Maybe they are more like summer flowers than spring ones but if we said that, we wouldn't get to see such a lovely card.)
    Last edited by Mitzi; 04-03-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Me again! And with flowers that are probably not Spring ones LOL! These are ATCs for a swap on another forum.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching videos on how to do the Bokeh technique. I don't have the items they've used but have had a go with what I do have. No white ink pad so used white gesso. It's turned out not to bad so I'm waiting for it to dry and then may cut it up to use as a background - watch this space LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Mission accomplished!
    I made not one but 2 cards from my background. Thought I'd better explain the process because I know you'll only ask LOL!
    I started with a large piece of watercolour card - 16 x 12 inches. Used a spray bottle to thoroughly wet the card and a large brush to spread the water all over the card. The videos I've watched used Distress Oxide inks or water colours but I sprayed Tonic Nuvo Mica Mists over the card - I think I used 3 shades of green. It wasn't looking to inspiring so I grabbed a couple of Tonic Shimmer powders and sprinkled them over the card then sprayed again with more water. This time they were yellows and golds. By now the card was swimming in water so I picked it up and let the colours run down the card. At this point my hands were covered in various shades of green! Luckily the products are water based so it came off after much scrubbing with soap and water. The next day when the card was thoroughly dry I attempted the bokeh effect. The stencil I had was too uniform, it needs to be more random. I used gesso as I didn't have a white inkpad but it's not too bad. I then cut two pieces off and stamped a leaf spray several times in dark green in a corner, masked them off and then over stamped in a lighter green. They were then finished off with matting and layering, adding a ribbon and gems and sentiments.
    I really like the portrait one with the ribbon. Not sure of the landscape one - it doesn't seem 'finished' to me.
    I fancy having another go. I have mica sprays in blues and oranges/reds so might try those but first I need to buy a white ink pad.

I now have scraps of the background left and I've cut some into strips. I've seen a card where they'd lay all the strips onto a sticky sheet and then used a die to cut them out so I'm going to have a go at that. But first I must make JSC's birthday card and March's ATCs!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for explaining all that. I'd never heard of bokeh before this thread. I like the idea of die-cutting a mosaic of strips.

Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous! I don't think you need a white ink pad, I think you've nailed it! Some white ink pads are rubbish (Dovecraft, I'm looking at you.) Brilliance is good.

The only suggestions I could make about the second one are that all the green might benefit from a bit of contrast so I might try making the sentiment black or white even a total colour clash like orange, and maybe a black border. But what do I know, I've just made the world's worst ATCs for the March swap.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally I cut the sentiment in brown and had brown pearls instead of the pale grren pearls. But it was too much of a contrast. There's a touch of gold in the background so I could try a pale gold as a contrast.