Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much to charge?

Post Thanks / Like

I charge £3 for 8x8 and A5 cards that people ask me to make, mostly with names on them (which is dead easy with the Cameo), but most give me £5 and tell me to keep the change as every penny goes to Sightsavers.
    For Christmas cards, I batch make about 15 of each design and they're smaller - 6x6 or 7x5. I sell them for £1 each or 6 for £5 and they always sell out. I used to put them all in cello bags, but I don't bother any longer as my colleagues just choose what they want from the boxes in staff rooms! But I don't use ready made toppers as sentiments are always in English and my cards are in Welsh! So I suppose I have a ready made market as there are very few nice Welsh cards in shops!! I send Sightsavers the money about three times a year and it's always around £100-£150, sometimes more after Christmas.

I think that selling 3 for £6 or whatever would be a good idea. My mother and a few of her friends ask me to make cards without sentiments so that they've always got a store at home. Some for children, boys, girls, men, women, get well etc.

Good luck!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As LJ has suggested, and you have already mentioned some people can afford and are happy to pay more. So it may be worth making a batch of cards which you can offer at a higher price in addition to what you already have in mind. This will give you an idea whether people are prepared to pay more and might help for the future.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Must admit when I was selling cards it was like pulling teeth to get folks to part with their money. At one fair a lady was selling kits that cost more than I was charging. Don't think she sold many though. I used to charge £1.50 for 6x4, some of the card blanks cost me more, so I charged £2 for those. We are talking 1987 to 1990, and they were cross stitched.

The fluffit/woofit shop usually charge £1, though when the previous lady was there the manager, she charged £1.50. I don't sell them myself, so don't receive a penny for them. Mind you it is like that with the baby and other items I knit for Sheryll. She has supplied knitting yarn in the past, but I am more than happy to supply my own, especially as I seem to have a warehouse full of the stuff again!

I reckon for every ball I have bought, it has given birth to another one. For instance, the ball I am using now for a shawl for the dementia unit I do not remember buying. I remember buying the last one I used, but not this one. So where has it come from? I am positive I have far more of those 'cakes' than I bought, so they must be breeding. Found four of one shade in a bag the other day.

Roz
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it is not just my wool stash which seems to breed!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    Glad to hear it is not just my wool stash which seems to breed!
    It isn't just my wool stash either. All that card and paper I sent down to the fluffit/woofit shop last year. Well blow me, there was I looking for silver and gold card last night. What did I find? Another load of part kits left over from Hunkydory and such like.

Had my second Covid vaccine this morning, so nipped into Boyes and bought some card blanks. Was a wee bit miffed to discover they had some flat backed polystyrene rings for far cheaper than the one I bought on eBay. That was the cheapest I could find too, most were round about £7. I had to hold myself in check as Boyes have such lovely yarn, and at a reasonable price. I resisted manfully, but don't know for how long.

At least when I go to Hoyland tomorrow to have my eyes tested I won't be going into Boyes as I want to buy a few plants for the tubs. There is only so much I can carry home on the bus. :)

Roz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely charge £2.00 per card. I don't think £1.99 sounds better than £2.00, I would prefer all shops to round up to the nearest pound rather than 99p or at least have a charity box on the counter for all of those spare one pences. As far as craft fairs are concerned it makes it easier for everyone to have rounded up prices rather than have stall owners faff about for 1p change.

Good luck, hope you get lots of sales!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it isn't just me who hates these £1.99 things Sam. There was a shop we used to frequent in Longford (Ireland) many years ago. Tom had all his prices marked up at something and 99 pence, but when push came to shove, he rounded it up to the £1, or punt as it was in those days. Can't complain though as not only was the craic great, but we also had a free coffee. :) Whenever I have been to craft fairs I tell them to forget the odd pennies, or in some cases 5 pence. I reckon as they have had to pay a substantial amount for the stands, especially down at Elsecar, the odd few pence wouldn't go amiss.

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

If it didn't work, people wouldn't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it does work really, I think it is just something that has gone on for years. Way back in pre decimal days we used to have something like £6.19.11, which was just as stupid. The thing I hated most was guineas. I used to think they were a great big con as many folks didn't realise just how much they were paying. For instance 20 guineas was in fact £21. So items, usually furniture/large electrical products, looked cheaper than they were, even worse if one was paying on the never never.

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

Finding change is going to be an issue. I have barely touched money since the first lockdown and as we no longer have banks in the town it will be harder to get hold of bags of coins. That's why I like the suggestion of 3 cards for £5 as then I can deal in notes. When I do church events the treasurer sorts out things like floats of change, but this one will be down to me!