Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much to charge?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much to charge?

Our town is holding an Open Day on 24th April, where various individuals, businesses and charities put stalls in their gardens or at other locations to encourage people to get out around the town and buy things. Several people asked if I would be selling my cards - they seem to be famous locally - and as Covid has meant I have only been doing special commissions I thought that would be a good idea. So far I have made about 100 of all kinds - it's been a good way to use up those old Hunkydory and Kanban kits I have around and to try out lots of dies that I loved, but hadn't used yet! I'm having a stall in the churchyard, which is a more central location than the Vicarage on southern edge of the town.

The cards look great packaged up, but I am wondering what to charge. For recent commissions I just asked people to add a bit more to their church collections to save the hassle of handling money and left it to their discretion. I make cards to send and have no idea of current prices in shops. I thought £1.50 per card seems reasonable. That way I cover my costs and add a bit on for my labour.

I give all the money to church funds, which not only means supporting a medieval building but paying the only youth worker in the town and supporting the local food bank, which are important amenities for the whole community. So I want to make more money than I spend, but equally I need to sell my products so I have something to donate. Any idea gratefully received!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What size cards do you make CSF? £1.50 is a bit low if you make large 8x8 cards.

Post Thanks / Like

I only do 8x8 or 7x7 for special commissions, but I don't really know how to charge for those. The people who buy them from me have given between £2 and £20 as it is for a charity. With lots of pensioners at church I don't think I can charge too much, hence leaving it to people's discretion.
    My stash to sell generally are 6x6 or 7x5. Not too many embellishments as most customers seem to worry about posting them. People who buy them say they are nicer than printed cards from shops, but I don't think they really appreciate the time involved in making them!

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a difficult one as you want to raise as much money as possible but your customer base can’t afford to pay too much. With the lockdown being eased people will be more able to give cards in person rather than post. Why not price some at £1.50 and others a little more - £2? That way if they can afford it people would pay the extra. Also towards the end of the time lower prices to try and get as much as possible. Let us know how it all goes.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

This is always very difficult - I have made and sold various things to raise money for charities and it is hard to predict how sales will go. I have seen people paying over the odds for items which were cheap to produce and yet baulk at the price of other items which are better quality and have taken more time to make.
    I think £1.50 isnt a lot, and would suggest maybe upping it to £2 with an option of paying less if they buy more, eg 3 for £5. You could also reduce the price for individuals as you go along if necessary.
    I would also have a sign stating that the money from sales is going to the church.
    Experience has also taught me that a cute young salesperson/assistant also helps :) (around 8-12 yrs old)

Good luck with your sales
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that advice Lioness. I like the idea of 3 for £5 - might sell more that way. I often find people give me more than I charge because they like the cards and think they're underpriced. And I get a lot of requests for particular special occasion cards when people have seen the quality of my work. They are nothing special - mostly pick and stick - but good quality materials and an eye for placing things right on the card makes a difference.
    Pity my grandson is up in Derbyshire - like his father he is great at charming middle-aged ladies!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think £1.50 is too cheap. I'd say at least £2 even for pick & stick and more (at least £3 but up to £5+)for cards that look more arty or have more embellishments.

Try the psychological trick of charging £1.99 instead of £2. I like Lioness's suggestion of 3 for £5. Even charging more doesn't really account for your time.

I like the sound of your cards. Can we persuade you to join in the swaps, perhaps once you retire?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else that £1.50 is too cheap. There use to be a woman in Oxford who made cards. They were not the kind that we all make - she drew some rather bad sketches of trees and birds (think primative art!) then photocopied them. Nothing else. Just a piece of card with a design photocopied on the front and an insert with part of the same design photocopied on it and her own sentiment/poetry. She was charging £2 - £5 back then!

An economist friend told me that people judge quality by the price, so never undersell. Charge more and you sell more because people think they are buying quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your advice. I agree about people buying because a higher price means quality, so I might charge £2 for a standard card. I've just looked at the Moonpig site and their basic cards are £3.49 including postage, so on a par with their prices.
    I know people buy my cards because they like them - I have had several unopened cards returned to me to resell when people have cleared the homes of parents. Their Mum had bought them and then thought they were too good to send and kept them for themselves!!!
    I am thinking about selling stuff at Craft Fairs when I retire, so this is dipping my toe in the water beyond church events. Probably the same customer base because it's a small town, but maybe some new faces as well. And yes, I will be joining the swops Mitzi when I have more time on my hands.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on what people in the area can afford
    £1.99 for less adorned cards £2.50 up for more ornate seems a fair price but if people have more cash to spend where you are then up the price ,as mention £1.99 always seems better than £2 and three for ... can never be resisted

I supplied a shop where I used to live

I started of making 7x5
    Then made A6
    They were all hand cut decoupage they took ages to make
    Shop said people would not buy them as they could get five for £1 in town but she would take them
    I was on the ball though as I said I wanted money up front not sale and return incase they got damaged so I was happy that my hobby meant I could buy a few more bits with the money I got back
    You can see I’m not a business women I did not check the going rate or negotiate a price
    What she paid me just covered the cost plus a few pennies
    It was a hobby more than a money making venture
    I had made about 60 assorted cards 40 were Christmas
    and said I could make any occasion
    When I asked how they were selling and did she want more she replied
    She hardly sold any but she would hold on to them
    I sent similar cards to neighbours
    One said oh you got yours from the village shop too
    I said no I made them for the shop
    She said she had purchased 20 of them as they had sold the rest
    She paid £1.40 each
    I got a call after Christmas
    Asking if I could supply a batch of assorted occasion cards
    But due to the slow sales of the Christmas cards she would pay up to 60p sale or return
    I declined
    I later went to craft fairs in my area and saw pick and stick cards selling
    For way more

Good luck will the sales and I hope the sun shines and you raise a good amount for the Church
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13: