Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much to charge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    Finding change is going to be an issue. I have barely touched money since the first lockdown and as we no longer have banks in the town it will be harder to get hold of bags of coins. That's why I like the suggestion of 3 cards for £5 as then I can deal in notes. When I do church events the treasurer sorts out things like floats of change, but this one will be down to me!
    Gone are the days when you could go into a bank and ask for them to change up for example £40 of notes into £1 coins. These days you have to pay the £40 into your account and then withdraw the same amount which you can ask for in coins.
    Why dont you ask your church treasurer if they have any coins from the collections that they could change up for you? They may appreciate not having to carry the coins down to the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

My mum always said when something is 1p shy of a pound the seller will hope you will say donÂ’t worry about the 1p which I have seen people do I have also seen seller close till without even offering the 1p change
    My mum was a generous lady even when times were hard but she always held out hand for her 1p change
    All went in a large whisky bottle along with 2pÂ’s and tiny 5p which she hated
    I worked for a bank so brought home coin bags she would bag up the coins
    which I had to lug to work I would then give her the notes
    Was not till I was planing my wedding 10 years later
    I found mum & dad had opened a building society account which the money went into
    It paid for my wedding dress flowers bridesmaids and the reception
    They stuck a 1p & 2p in our wedding card
    With a note
    Remember look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves
    Up till then I thought it was a daft saying
    So mum and dad if your looking down from your allotment in the sky
    You gave given me some of the best advice
    So Thank You xxxx
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

That's lovely, Jan.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What lovely parents you had LJ!

Post Thanks / Like

No joy with change there Lioness! Collections in church have hardly happened since the first lockdown - largely because most people go to church via Zoom and because of fear of contagion. It's mostly done by bank transfer these days or even by touching your card on a reader at the church door.
    I agree with your parents advice LJ. When my kids were young I used to do the same with my copper change to pay for treats when we went on holiday.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

In days of old when we used cash, as in pre March 2020, if I received 20 pence or less in my change I would put int in the charity box. A couple of years ago I bought a couple of slices of pork from one of the stalls in Barnsley market. It came to 51 pence, as I didn't have any change I gave her a pound coin, she gave me 50 pence back saying I could owe the penny. The following week I had the correct change, plus a two pence piece. I told the lady I owed them a penny from the week before, told her the extra penny was the interest owing. By heck that is a steep interest rate she said, but at least it made us both laugh. Anyway it went into their charity box. They keep it behind the counter as one can't trust some folks not to steal it. By the sounds of it most folks give them the odd penny or two.

I have several 'piggy banks' one for 1 and 2 pence pieces, another for 10's, plus a post box for 5's. I also have three other boxes that hold 20's, 50's, £1 coins. Kate gave me another piggy a couple of Christmas's ago which counts money that goes into it. I keep £2 coins in that. She also gave me one of those banks that have to be smashed a few years ago. I kept saving £1 coins in that, ended up with just over £300 one year, which just about covered the first class fare to the wedding in Scotland. Needless to say because I haven't used cash for ages, there is very little in any of them. I probably have more pre decimal coins than present day legal tender!

Roz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It was a beautiful day for the town open day and people had over 50 stalls around the town We had 4 in the churchyard, so it was like a mini market. A friend is clearing her aunt's house, as she has had to go into a care home. She discovered stacks of unused greetings cards, which she was selling for 50p each. But people were happy to pay £2 for mine. The 3 for £5 meant I sold more than I expected (a great idea) and I made about £100. We styled the 2 stalls Primark and Gucci, and people were happy to buy from both.
    Lots of people really like my cards, but didn't have an occasion to buy for. However, I had made some business cards and they took those, especially as I make cards to specific requirements. We are having a plant sale on 22nd May and I'll sell some more at that. Need to make more birthday cards as I only had a few left by close of play yesterday!IMG_1575.jpg IMG_1576.jpg
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    It was a beautiful day for the town open day and people had over 50 stalls around the town We had 4 in the churchyard, so it was like a mini market. A friend is clearing her aunt's house, as she has had to go into a care home. She discovered stacks of unused greetings cards, which she was selling for 50p each. But people were happy to pay £2 for mine. The 3 for £5 meant I sold more than I expected (a great idea) and I made about £100. We styled the 2 stalls Primark and Gucci, and people were happy to buy from both.
    Lots of people really like my cards, but didn't have an occasion to buy for. However, I had made some business cards and they took those, especially as I make cards to specific requirements. We are having a plant sale on 22nd May and I'll sell some more at that. Need to make more birthday cards as I only had a few left by close of play yesterday!IMG_1575.jpg IMG_1576.jpg
    That sounds if you enjoyed the day CSF. Glad it all worked out and well done on making £100.
    The weather helped but people wouldn't have bought if they didn't like your cards. Couldnt open your pictures but from what I could see your stand looks inviting

Post Thanks / Like

Well done CSF!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't open your photos either, but I'm glad that the day went well.