Thread: Is it just me?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it just me?

I know we all have different crafting styles but I watched Leonie do a demo today. She spent ages doing a background, using many different products and techniques, then covered most of it up with toppers. Why? If I'd spent so much time and effort I would want to show it off
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

No it isn't just you love. I always feel guilty about using Hunkydory card and then plonking something over the top. The trouble is I don't really see what else I can do. I don't normally make cards larger than 7x5, though I have done the occasional A5, so have no choice other than to put the topper over what is on the background sheet. Seems such a waste.

Roz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catlady View Post
    I know we all have different crafting styles but I watched Leonie do a demo today. She spent ages doing a background, using many different products and techniques, then covered most of it up with toppers. Why? If I'd spent so much time and effort I would want to show it off
    It’s not just you. I haven’t seen this specific programme (if it was Stamperia I have it recorded) but I’ve previously seen Leonie collaging over a background that took a lot of making. I love Stamperia papers but I’m far too mean to use them the way Leonie does. In fact, they are so precious that I struggle to use them at all. It probably helps that Leonie doesn’t have to pay for them.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It always seems a shame to me when a beautifully designed sheet of paper is then covered with a random selection of other things. I do wonder if the presenters brief is to use a minimum number of other products Most things end up looking a muddy mess, rarely does it show any skill at all. For me most of the mixed media on tv is starting to look a bit one trick pony'. I know some of the artists are capable of much more, I saw Lou Withers a few weeks ago paint a beautiful bee with just a few strokes of the brush.

Once saw saw someone paint an item with black gesso to then paint it white when it was dry !
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Once saw saw someone paint an item with black gesso to then paint it white when it was dry !
    Seems a wee bit on the dotty side. I do remember in a Dick Francis book that 'our hero' had used three (maybe more) different colours on top of each other for grass. Once it was dry he scratched over the surface so that close up it looked a wee bit like tartan. Must admit I would have liked to have seen the effect. 'Our hero' used acrylic paint by the way, not oil paint.

I remember watching a demonstrator on one of the channels painting a circle, yellow I think it was. She then painted around part of the edge, interesting. She followed this up with another colour, painted all over the blessed thing. She did this several times, no idea why, or what difference it made, other than to waste paint. Something those who use such things on telly selly seem quite happy to do. Me, I am way too mean to waste paint, especially the expensive stuff.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog