Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unturned hem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unturned hem

Can Any dressmakers help me on how to sew this type of hem? I have made clothes and taken clothes for years but never done a hem like this,
    the fabric is like a fine polyester chiffon type crepe almost see through, the tag says polyester which covers many types of fabric
    the dress has permanent pleats in the skirt part
    I need to shorten it but a turned hem would not lay right, care instruction say don’t iron pleats
    The hem at the moment looks like a small 2-3 mm over locked hem
    image has been enlarged to show hem it not as open weaved as the picture
    Last edited by Little Jan; 28-08-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any way you could take it in at the waist? If its pleated I would do a loose stitch across the pleats a bit below the new waistline, so that the pleats stay in place. Or maybe tack two rows and then stitch the actual waistline in between. If its a skirt, this would be easier, however if you need to attach the skirt to a bodice, this may be more complicated. But may look better in the end
    I'm working on the basis that its easier to shorten curtains at the top header than redoing a new invisible hem.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would ruin the dress doing that
    There is an invisible side zip to start with and the amount it needs taking up loads of excess fabric to deal with I am only 4foot 10¾ the ¾ is important to me lol
    Think I might see if I can find a dressmaker locally to do it probably cost as much as the dress though
    Should have thought about it before buying it
    I got it for a wedding last year that like many others got cancelled and the person making the bride and bridesmaid dresses were going to do it for me unfortunately they went out of business but after they had made the dresses they are not local but Bride was going to take me when she went for fittings
    Although I have made clothes from scratch and taken in simple things this is a bit beyond my skills
    Thanks for the suggestion though
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you mean. Invisible zips aren't easy to deal with at the best of times.
    Looking closely at the fabric, it appears to be an open weave but stitched on the bias. That's probably why they have opted to 'overlock' the edge rather than turn the hem up. The short but wide stitch that they have used is probably designed to stop the edge from fraying. If you turn the hem up, you will end up stretching and in turn 'curling'? the material.
    Is it worth contacting the lady who made the bridal dresses to see if she could recommend someone? You may find that she could be working for someone else and might be able to do your dress?

Post Thanks / Like

That looks very awkward Jan, I wouldn't like to try and alter that myself. Hope you can find someone.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    I see what you mean. Invisible zips aren't easy to deal with at the best of times.
    Looking closely at the fabric, it appears to be an open weave but stitched on the bias. That's probably why they have opted to 'overlock' the edge rather than turn the hem up. The short but wide stitch that they have used is probably designed to stop the edge from fraying. If you turn the hem up, you will end up stretching and in turn 'curling'? the material.
    Is it worth contacting the lady who made the bridal dresses to see if she could recommend someone? You may find that she could be working for someone else and might be able to do your dress?
    It’s not as open as it looks camera was on zoom
    It more like chiffon but a bit thicker the dress is slightly flared but hem is even
    I found a clip on YouTube It shows you how to hem it without a over lock machine by using a roll hem foot anf a close zig zag over lock stitch
    I have the right foot for it so will practice in some scrap fabric
    I rang my god daughter she said the lady moved away to live near her daughter
    I do know a dress maker who gutted the outfit I bought for daughters wedding
    It was like a made to
    Measure outfit when she finished
    But she is back where we used to live
    Hubby said give her a ring and see if she is still there and he will take me there
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I could not find the lady who did my alterations before
    or remember the address but knew the name well I thought I did
    For once hubby had remembered something, said my daughter used to go Artistic roller-skating
    With a girl who lived in the same place
    Rang daughter who told me the place, googled dressmakers and it came up with the name I thought it was honey pot but it was lily pot lol but no contact details
    Daughter tracked her down of face book, she has stopped making clothes from scratch she made beautiful wedding dresses and prom stuff and those elaborate Gypsy wedding dresses
    Daughter said she has posted that she is now under a different name and only does alterations now
    As it was impossible to compete with imported designs especially with all hand beading she had to do that took weeks sometimes
    Daughter sent her message on Facebook to see if she would do my dresses
    And she said to ring her next week to book an appointment for fittings but it might 2-4 weeks depending on what I need doing
    Apparently people are buying clothes and wedding dresses they like in the sales no matter the size and having them altered to fit now especially the more expensive designs so she is now very busy especially now weddings can take place
    I do wish I had gone to dressmaking classes, I taught myself to make my clothes which is easier sometimes them trying to alter something.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right that it is probably easier to start from scratch rather than alter.
    Fingers crossed that this lady is able to sort you out LJ
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to make all my clothes, plus most of the stuff for the kids/significant other as well. Can't be bothered to do it these days to be honest. I can't leave the ironing board set up, which is essential for pressing seams, etc. The same applies to the sewing machine. I used to leave it set up on the seldom used kitchen table, but as the only table I have is in my craft room, covered in 'stuff' I can't leave it there either. The only time it wasn't set up was when I was cutting something out, in which case it was set up on the floor, minus its electrics and foot, until I had done the cutting. I have one of the cardboard cutting out wotsits that I can use on the bed, but it means I have to bend over the thing, which does my back no favours at all. OK, so lots of procrastination going on there, but as clothes from charity shops are soooo cheap, it seems silly to even think of making my own.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RozMinis View Post
    I used to make all my clothes, plus most of the stuff for the kids/significant other as well. Can't be bothered to do it these days to be honest. I can't leave the ironing board set up, which is essential for pressing seams, etc. The same applies to the sewing machine. I used to leave it set up on the seldom used kitchen table, but as the only table I have is in my craft room, covered in 'stuff' I can't leave it there either. The only time it wasn't set up was when I was cutting something out, in which case it was set up on the floor, minus its electrics and foot, until I had done the cutting. I have one of the cardboard cutting out wotsits that I can use on the bed, but it means I have to bend over the thing, which does my back no favours at all. OK, so lots of procrastination going on there, but as clothes from charity shops are soooo cheap, it seems silly to even think of making my own.

Roz
    I made all my clothes from about age 15
    I could not get the latest fashion as I was so tiny
    Even at 21 I could fit in age 14 in old pennies not the size it is today but if I wanted the lasted fad it was get a simple pattern ,fabric and make my own

When it was fashionable in the late 60’s for girls to where boys Ben Sherman shirts and stay press trousers I was in fashion as I could were young boys stuff lol
    then as I got older and went to work Jane Norman did much smaller fashion clothes
    So apart from the length I could get a perfect fit for my 32 22 32 figure
    Sadly my waisted is nearer my old hip size but at least the rest grew in proportion lol