Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unturned hem

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't remember when I first started making my own clothes, but I remember being pretty disgruntled when the teacher at one school I went to insisted we practice with paper on a hand sewing machine before we were allowed to use proper fabric. As I had been using my grandmas treadle sewing machine since I could reach the treadle I was far from happy. It took us an entire school year to make the skirt, we only had the one machine between the entire class. By the time we reached July the dratted things didn't fit.

Totally different when I moved to a different school. The first thing we had to make was an apron and cap for our cookery lessons. I followed that up with a lace trimmed underskirt, most of it done by hand. A shirtwaister dress, skirt and V neck top, nightdress, and coat were some of the other things I made during the last two years.

Roz
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

My
    Needlework teacher was a dragon
    She had horrible nails they were really thick and she wore horrid tangerine varnish
    We had hand sewing machines and electric
    Only teachers pets used the electric ones
    We had a exam and we all had to make a dress from gingham or broderie anglaise
    Both were expensive fabrics at the time
    But my aunt had some white left over from making bedroom curtains so gave me it
    I made a sleeveless shift dress with under bust seam
    But having no bust the bust darts went wrong
    I had to unpick in all and in my rush I cut the fabric
    Luck was on my side
    as the last lesson where we had to show our makes the teacher was off sick giving us
    Extra time
    Mum managed to find some trim with white daisies with yellow centres which I sewed under the bust
    To cover where I had repaired the cut fabric
    I thought it looked rather good
    On the day our work was due to be marked
    I took my work to the teacher
    She looked at it all over and then I had to try it on to show her the fit
    She looked at it with a rather stern face and then said I love the trim what gave you the idea
    Miss smarty teachers pet shouted out
    She cut the fabric miss and the trim is to hide it
    I went bright red
    Teacher said the art of dressmaking is if you make a mistake you find a way to repair it
    Well done
    I got top marks
    I think that is why I get satisfaction repairing granddaughters and son in laws clothing
    Last edited by Little Jan; 01-09-2021 at 10:25 PM.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

The only practical lesson I had in secondary school was one and a half terms of needlework - the other half of the year we did art appreciation - when I was 11. We had to make a dress with sleeves, collar, pockets and a zip. I can't see the 11 year olds I have taught in recent years being able to do that! Most don't seem to know how to sew a button on.
    I remember going to John Lewis in Oxford Street with my Mum to choose the pattern and fabric. I wore the finished article for a couple of years until it was outgrown. Fortunately my Mum made most of my clothes anyway, so she could give me a helping hand. Otherwise I don't think I would have completed the project as it was a bit daunting. However, it did give me a working knowledge of how to use a dress pattern which has come in useful from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter always gives me stuff to sew
    I tried to teach her but she was not interested
    Every time I did childcare there was a bag of sewing
    I bought her a sewing kit and a book on simple sewing
    I don’t think she has even looked at them
    Says she doesn’t have time doing part time working and 2 children
    Well I am at daughters looking after youngest as she is back to work and her hubbies rest day was cancelled
    I have managed since 10am to play with playdough read books and done some sewing and folded washing little one has just crashed out for her nap
    So I have got my phone out to post can’t use it when she is awake she keeps wanting to watch videos lol
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

I seemed to be endlessly sewing when I had small children when there were school clothes to mend, swimming and Cub badges to sew on uniforms and cross stitch presents to make for teachers. And I worked full time! I used to knit jumpers as well - it was the time when picture sweaters were very popular.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw bless, what a lovely story Jan. Glad you got top marks for ingenuity. :)

We used to shop for fabric in Lewis's (no relation to John Lewis) in Leeds. Always went to the remnant section rather than pay the full price for a yard. Their idea of a remnant was normally round about two yards x 36 inches, and could be bought for less than half price. No idea if it was last years fabric, never having been fashion conscious I didn't give a rats.

When I went to secretarial college we had to wear an overall in either light blue or maroon, they being the college colours. 'The parent' took one look at the price of the thing, said she could make it cheaper. She did at least let me have the scarf, though these days I would have probably knitted one for myself anyway.

I used to knit school jumpers during the cricket season as they had to be plain. Sewing was an all year round thing, though I did tend to take a rest from it between September and December as September was the wonth of Christmas as far as I was concerned. Christmas knitting was the 'in' thing to do during those months. :)

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog