Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August workshop - a useful tip and Bind it all box

Post Thanks / Like

Default August workshop - a useful tip and Bind it all box

Hi

Welcome to the August workshop.

Can I say at the outset that while thinking about what to do, I realise that for some a bind it all machine, may well be a ‘considered’ purchase; at £49.99 normal price it may well be something you’d like but you’d like the price to come down a bit.

I have found out that from late September onwards, a new version of the bind it all is due to come out. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the price on the original version will be reduced to make room for the new version in the shops. Not too sure what the improved features will be, though I gather its possible to punch a greater number of holes in one go, as with the original version, its all too easy when punching more holes to forget to pull the pin mechanism out of the way before removing the card once the holes have been punched.

So for that reason, I have what I consider to be really useful when my friend showed me; its really simple, quick and will save you money and frustration in lost materials because its gone on crooked. If I am guilty of telling you how to suck eggs, please bear with me, I just wish someone had told me about this before, as I have wasted so much paper by sticking it on, it hasn’t been right, have tried to take it off and ripped it, so needed to start again. I have used the tip to incorporate into a bind it all box, but the technique can be used in so many different ways.

As you can see, all my photographs are for a bind it all box I made, but the same technique can be used to cover a book cover, the front of a card and so on.

Before you even start to make the box, I would suggest your first step is to lightly run the edges of all pieces of card with an inkpad in a colour that goes with the paper you have chosen. While this is not critical, IMHO it does look better when your box is complete.

TIP:
    I have put double side tape round all four sides of the card and rather than ripping off all four pieces at once, putting on the covering paper and hoping its in the right place, I have peeled back and bent over enough of an edge to get hold of. See photo below:

You can cut the paper to fit, position it by pressing lightly on the sticky bits and then once satisfied it is in the right place, press more firmly, if not lift off and place it down again, you can then pull away the rest of the tape tabs for a neat finish.

To make the box, you will first need to cover six pieces of card in a paper of your choice on both sides. I would recommend that the paper inside is relatively plain but tones with the outer paper.

Illustration 2

You now need to start cutting your holes using the bind it all. The top needs six holes across the top edge only, the sides need six holes down the sides and eight holes along the base edge, the top edge on one side, will also need six holes.

The following two photos show a close up of the base and all the pieces with the holes punched out. As a general rule of thumb, you need to make sure that the initial cut for the six holes is centralised, so you don’t run out of room for the holes either side and also you want to ensure that the whole thing goes together well.

Last edited by LorraineJ; 31-07-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You then need to start tying the box together, I would suggest you do the sides first, then the base and finally the top with co-ordinating ribbon small enough to fit through the holes. Try to make sure that you don’t put the same ribbon together, so that you get a random effect. Word of warning, this is fun to do but fiddly, when you are putting on the bottom, you have to be a bit of a contortionist!!

This is a picture of the finished article and the eagle eyed among you will notice its not the same paper as the ones used in the photos. I have edged the top with a toning stick on ribbon, though you could if you wanted to punch holes in the leading edges of the box and thread ribbon through as a coordinated look.

A bind it all box makes ideal storage for your Artists Trading Cards and also the FLAP swaps, though you may like making them as gift boxes.

I hope you find this clear, if not sing out and useful too.
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 31-07-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Lorraine, am going to have a better play with my BIA after my hols!!
    My wishlist keeps getting longer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Really excellent, Lorraine - very helpful for anyone who has bought, or is thinking of buying, a Bind-It-All, but also your idea could very easily be adapted by anyone who has a Crop-a-Dile. Thank You!

Pam Guest

Thank you Lorraine - Great workshop.

Anne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dips View Post
    Really excellent, Lorraine - very helpful for anyone who has bought, or is thinking of buying, a Bind-It-All, but also your idea could very easily be adapted by anyone who has a Crop-a-Dile. Thank You!
    Nice tip Dips. :)

Anne Guest

Lovely workshop Lorraine. Your final sentence is somewhat bizarre though. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely tutorial Lorraine and a very pretty box too. If I might add something about the edges - we used the BIA when I was on holiday and went to the Graphicus workshops. We were making a book and used the Adirondack Acrylic Paint daubers to colour the cut edges of the card that made the book covers in much the same way you have suggested using an ink pad in a co-ordinating colour. The paint daubers work beautifullly also for this job, and i guess marker pens or lots of other things could be used to - it certainly gives the edges a nicer look if they have been coloured with something.

Post Thanks / Like

lovely workshop lorraine thank you very much, ps i want a BIA even more now!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice tip about the crop-a-dile Dips - I might give it a go. I'm also wondering whether I could get away with borrowing one of the binding machines in the office....