Thread: Journaling in Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Journaling in Thread

I have come across some lovely embroidery journals on the internet and thought I might do one this year as a change from counted thread work. I have a monthly subscription to hand-dyed threads from France (Tom and Lily Creations). They are beautiful, but apart from a couple of Lizzie Kate patterns I haven't got around to using them so I thought a using one of the skeins each month on a journal would be a good idea. Better than just looking and stroking them!

Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions of good sources of patterns?
    Stitchdoodles have basic templates and I've looked at several books on Amazon with collections of small motifs which you can adapt to your own needs (I'm hopeless at drawing, but I can adapt an image if I am working in thread rather than pencils). Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking through The Craft Store Schedule and on Thursday they have a show at 13:00 called ‘Tilly Rose Daydream Journals’ which looks like a stitching show to me.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Her book is cheaper on Amazon . Here is the blurb.
    Textile artists find inspiration all around them – from fleeting memories to treasured items, sketches, poems and photographs. But how do you collect and record these precious thoughts and ideas? Tilly Rose shows you how, by creating stunning fabric and paper journals filled with inspiration to spark your creativity. A lovingly created journal tells a story. It provides a fascinating glimpse into your world and is a beautiful object in its own right to be cherished by generations to come. There are eight beautiful designs to choose from, incorporating a range of exciting techniques that include layering and collage, hand embroidery, transferring your own designs to cloth, stamping, appliqué, embellishing, patchwork and free motion machine embroidery.
    All of the techniques are explained with clear instructions and step-by-step photographs, so even those who are just setting out on their creative journey will find inspiration and all the know-how they need to make their own gorgeous daydream journals.’

On Amazon the book is released on Feb 28 th.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooo, never thought of journaling with threads. I do a lot of prick and stitch, but when it comes to using paper, well card actually, that is as far as I have got. Even then I use threads bought especially for prick and stitching.

The 2021 blackwork SAL, worked in variegated threads, I have made into a book. Lined it with felt, then made felt pages onto which I have stitched various bits of needlework. 'The Plan' was to fill it with sample pieces, but I have also added other bits and bobs. By the time I have finished faffing I might have to make another one for the practice bits!

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Discovered I had already got Tilly Rose's first book, which to be honest isn't really my style - bit 'girly ' for me!
    I am aiming for something simpler which I can make into a cushion at the end of the year. Essentially it is small doodles in thread reflecting what happens every day. I bought some washed calico in the Empress Mills sale, which I had intended for Redwork, but will make a good base for my journal as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I am completely in awe of you all. I was forced to do a bit of sewing last week as I have to make a costume. I was very, very sad and it looks very, very awful.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Borderline View Post
    I am completely in awe of you all. I was forced to do a bit of sewing last week as I have to make a costume. I was very, very sad and it looks very, very awful.
    I am sure it doesn't love. Don't undersell yourself.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    Discovered I had already got Tilly Rose's first book, which to be honest isn't really my style - bit 'girly ' for me!
    I am aiming for something simpler which I can make into a cushion at the end of the year. Essentially it is small doodles in thread reflecting what happens every day. I bought some washed calico in the Empress Mills sale, which I had intended for Redwork, but will make a good base for my journal as well.
    I dunno who invented calico, but they deserve a medal as it is a really useful addition to our stash. Even better is that it comes in various weights. :)

I can't say Tilly Rose did anything for me to be honest. All that lace stuff just isn't me at all. I love making lacy stuff, as in knitting and crochet, also using various embroidery techniques. I even tried bobbin lace once, well ok then, several times. Unfortunately I had too many assistants with four paws at the time. Especially Dusty who was always keen on helping me with my cross stitching. She even helped decide where my crochet log cabin squares should go on a throw I made. Her eyes lit up when she saw all those bobbins hanging from the pillow.

Roz