Thread: changing sewing needles

Post Thanks / Like

Default changing sewing needles

Just heard one of the presenters making a point that you should change your sewing machine need after every 8 hours of sewing.

I bought my sewing machine in 1979, and over the many years have made a wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, going out outfits, cushions, curtains and various outfits for school plays/assemblies/parties etc. Its not used regularly every week, but when I have the odd project it is very likely to take more than 8 hours to complete.
    I honestly cannot remember changing the needle more than once/twice over the whole period, other than swapping it over for a ballpoint needle occasionally when the fabric needed it.

I am curious to know how many people actually do change their needles this often?

Is it really necessary or is this a selling ploy?
    Or is this another example that anything purchased these days isnt made to last?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon it's just a ploy. I don't do much machine sewing these days but used to in the past as I made nearly all of my clothes but this was back in the 60s and 70s. I don't ever remember changing the needle unless one broke or the fabric I was using needed a different needle. I don't even remember any going blunt unless that is why they broke sometimes. Not very often though.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I have rarely changed a needle - but managed to break 2 in short succession when I got my machine out to make some bunting for the Jubilee! That was probably to make up for all those needles I should have changed in the past :)
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    I have rarely changed a needle - but managed to break 2 in short succession when I got my machine out to make some bunting for the Jubilee! That was probably to make up for all those needles I should have changed in the past :)
    This Jubilee lark - dangerous stuff!!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had the same needle in my last machine for years only changed it when it broke when it got caught in the fabric and being I a mood I tried to false it out lol
    I’m sure they are not as strong as they used to be I have had 3 bend in as many weeks
    it said in my machine booklet use the brand of needed for your machine which I have
    I found a packet of old needles from one if my 1st machines gave them a try and they work a treat
    I agree it’s a plot to make you keep buying them
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh, I had one pack of needles with my New Home machine, plus a pack of ball point needles way back in the 70's. That machine was in constant use, kept on the kitchen table except at Christmas when I needed it for other things. Apart from changing to the ball point needle, I don't ever remember changing it. I don't remember ever breaking one either. The same with my grandma's old treadle machine. If there was a pack of spare needles I don't ever remember seeing it. Like my New Home, it got a lot of use, firstly by my mother, then as soon as I could reach the treadle, by me.

The sewing machines at my last school were in constant use five days of the week. We happily carried on using the same needles. I wouldn't mind betting out needlework teacher, ashamed to admit I can't remember her name, lovely lady too, probably didn't even know if we had spare needles.

I have read several times that sewing needles, especially those for cross stitch should be changed ever week. They have got to be kidding. So long as the thing isn't going black, which has happened with the nickel plated needles, I don't change them. Even when the gold wears off my gold plated needles, I carry on using them. I know Jane always says she will replace any needles where the gold has worn off, but as they have been used for umpteen projects, it seems churlish to ask for a replacement!

Soooo all in all, I reckon it is a sales ploy to make us spend our hard earned pennies, or even squids! :(

Roz
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I used to machine sew professionally - I only changed when I needed ballpoint or a different size needle. My mum worked for a company that made high end designer clothes - they didn't change needles unless they had to either!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post