Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Papercraft Subscription Boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Papercraft Subscription Boxes

I was wondering if anyone subscribes to a monthly paper-crafting kit and what you think of them.
    There are a goodly selection available, but I don't think I could commit to buying from the same company month after month, although I have bought the odd box, usually when they have been in sales.
    I have a number of Papercraft Society kits from Craft Stash. I like the size of the box and the way the dies and stamps come in a folder together, with a useful booklet of ideas but I have only invested in boxes by designers I particularly like, such as Helen Griffin, unless I was sent one as a 'freebie'.
    I have bought several Sizzix craft kits, when I particularly liked the dies, but since they changed the box to one which was not re-usable and did not send the dies with pictures of the finished make I have not bought any more. No booklet, but usually a helpful video on the Sizzix site
    I like the Tonic kits, but I probably have more Tonic dies than I will ever use so I have only invested in a couple when they were in a sale.
    Today I received a couple of Crafters Companion kits, which I bought in a recent sale. I like the way they are packaged with the different elements in separate envelopes, but not much in the way of ideas to inspire me.
    I suppose I hope that they will trigger my enthusiasm or inspire me to craft in a different style, but they haven't had that effect, although it is nice to have a set of colour co-ordinated material to work with.
    What do other people think?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I recently stopped my subscription for the Papercraft Society because I wasn’t enjoying them anymore after moving to them from Tonic kits for the same reason having started with The Craft Box ones which were my favourite I think. The Papercraft Society have too many by the same person like Lou Collins for instance . I have had a few from CC but they weren’t thrilling me and I had a dabble with Mama Makes but wasn’t blown away. I have never bought the Sizzix one as I buy too much Sizzix already.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have the Tonic Craft Kit. I have 1 - 50 then stopped. There were too many duplicates and I ended up with several of the same item - mainly Nuvo things not the dies and stamps.
    I think the kits only work if you don't buy that company's products separately otherwise you end up with duplicates.

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're right PP. They are a good way to start on a crafting journey, but they soon become 'samey' if you have them month after month.
    I do have a monthly subscription with Tom and Lily - a French company selling spaced dyed threads. I stopped my subscription, but realised I was missing my monthly dose of colour and the little French goodies that came in each parcel. I have way too many threads, but at least I can enjoy looking at them and I have used them successfully to sew some US patterns which use other brands of space dyed thread. I also belong to the Dandelion Designs Secret Society with redwork designs that make into a quilt over the year. So far, no completed quilt, but I am working on it and will have something useful eventually!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to investigate the Tom and Lily website CSF, have managed to resist, but for how long I don't know! ;) I used to belong to Sparklies who sent out hand dyed fabric each month, but after the first year or so I decided I had more than enough, and was going to struggle to use it, so cancelled my subscription. I have the entire range of DMC threads, and am working my way through some of the American companies. I have been good though, as in not bought any for quite a while.

I used to buy a few to make up the postage, working on the theory that I could invest in something, aka threads, that I didn't already have. I am in need of a couple of DMC threads, so will have to put in an order soon. Somehow at least one Mill Hill kit manages to fall into my basket!!! ;)

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Like you Roz I have a complete set of DMC and also Anchor threads, neatly put on bobbins in numerical order plus several tins full of skeins of thread. But most of my stitching happens with a rats' nest of threads out of which I pull colours which just look right, because I hate waste.
    The beauty of the Tom and Lily packages are the colour combinations that Melanie dyes and puts together. I think my favourite was the Liquorice Allsorts colours - along with a small bag of the sweets to eat while you stroked your new threads!! But this month's coral seas - blues and pinks - is pretty good too. Receiving the packages from France each month gave me a real lift during lockdown.

Post Thanks / Like

Yer not s'posed to stroke 'em gal, you are supposed to use 'em............... says she who mentally strokes the silk threads! I have used them sometimes, honest I have, but at those prices, one is very careful what one uses them on. ;)

I keep my normal DMC threads threaded onto card (cut from cereal and other boxes) with the shade number and name on them. They are then put, several at a time, into plastic bags in a drawer. The more recent ones that came in a tin are still in said tin, in the same drawer as the rest of the DMC threads.

All other threads are kept in plastic bags in other bags in a cupboard, though most of the American overdyed threads are on rings as it makes life easier. I have loads of left over threads from my Mill Hill and Jane Greenoff hits, plus a few other kits, they are also in plastic bags in the cupboard. I try to sort out Jane's threads onto previous shade cards, but like the spare threads from Mill Hill (DMC threads) they are in need of another sorting session. Maybe a Christmas day project!!! ;)

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=RozMinis;393713]Yer not s'posed to stroke 'em gal, you are supposed to use 'em............... says she who mentally strokes the silk threads! I have used them sometimes, honest I have, but at those prices, one is very careful what one uses them on. ;)

Problem is - too many threads, too little time!! I have plans for them all, but it is hard to complete them when there's only 24 hours in the day. So I get them out for a quick stroke to remind me what I have and that I must make the projects they were destined for. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

We need more than 24 hours a day. Either than or no sleep! Just think what we could achieve if we didn't have to have our daily/nightly 8 hours, or whatever it happens to be! ;)

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

Will confess to buying two Papercraft Society boxes while they were on a buy 2 for the price of 1 offer. I also belong to the Craft Stash club, so another 10% off and I used my reward points - so each box worked out cheaper than the craft magazines I had been browsing through in W H Smiths the day before!!
    I fancy trying mixed media, so I bought a Pretty Gets Gritty box and one by Lou Collins so I can get some small quantities of materials to play around with rather than buying larger quantities which I may never actually use up. Little Jan's August challenge to use crafting stuff which pushes me outside my normal comfort zone has a lot to answer for!!!