Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December swap

Post Thanks / Like

No more online posting for me then
    I should have made mine earlier given to a visiting ex neighbour on her return home to Oz
    That would have concussed you all
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jan View Post
    No more online posting for me then
    I should have made mine earlier given to a visiting ex neighbour on her return home to Oz
    That would have concussed you all
    I don't put my details on the online address label.

Just checking strike dates: November 23, 24, 25 and 30th, December 1st and 2nd December. Different departments are striking on different dates but these are all the dates.
    It's also Black Friday and Cyber Monday on 25th and 28th November so more parcels than usual although I think a lot of companies now use Evri, Yodel and DPD.

Post Thanks / Like

Just spoke to
    My postman has he collected from the offices down the road
    He said they are in discussions about strike dates he’s had a lot of flack about the strikes
    He said is not the postman but the sorting offices that are striking
    The post box’s are not being emptied as they can’t get into the sorting office with the mail
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jan View Post
    Just spoke to
    My postman has he collected from the offices down the road
    He said they are in discussions about strike dates he’s had a lot of flack about the strikes
    He said is not the postman but the sorting offices that are striking
    The post box’s are not being emptied as they can’t get into the sorting office with the mail
    I don't know whether I'm right or not so don't shoot me - some of my stuff took an age to come so I looked up the strike dates. From that it seems that there are dates when the posties aren't working and the next day the sorting office aren't working, so everything is just rolling over.

I spoke to our postie the other day (there are none of the usual ones) and he said there was such a backlog at the sorting office that we really need two posties in this area, but the powers that be won't agree to it.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I sympathise with any workers who decide to take strike action. However, I wonder what the future holds for the Royal Mail. So many companies now use couriers and with the majority of business conducted electronically, we find that the postman delievers far fewer items than before. We get something nearly every day, but not the pile that we used to receive! I have also noticed from my daughters that they rarely return items via Royal Mail - they prefer to use the Parcel Shops or the drop off points.

When you think about it, the postal service since the beginning has been a miracle of sorts - you could post something in rural Wales and it would get to the north of Scotland within a day or so! Like everything, we take it for granted but would miss it if was withdrawn or minimised.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anymore takers for this swap
    Would be great to have some new swappers
    It can be anything you like a bit of cross stitch a tag anything as long as it fits the festive theme in any way the season means to you
    Due to the pending December strikes I will be closing the swap on Monday so I can get PM’s out so cards can be hopefully be sent before the Christmas rush
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I sympathise with any workers who decide to take strike action. However, I wonder what the future holds for the Royal Mail. So many companies now use couriers and with the majority of business conducted electronically, we find that the postman delievers far fewer items than before. We get something nearly every day, but not the pile that we used to receive! I have also noticed from my daughters that they rarely return items via Royal Mail - they prefer to use the Parcel Shops or the drop off points.

When you think about it, the postal service since the beginning has been a miracle of sorts - you could post something in rural Wales and it would get to the north of Scotland within a day or so! Like everything, we take it for granted but would miss it if was withdrawn or minimised.
    I remember when there were 2 collections and delivery’s a day
    1st class always got there the following morning 2nd would be the afternoon delivery
    Sometimes 1st arrived the same day with 2nd class mail if it was a early collection and a nearby area

Today it’s hit and miss
    I sent a card 1st class to a friend in the next town it took 5 days
    Yet a card to the Isle of Wight posted the same time arrived the following morning

Post Thanks / Like

It is hit and miss! We never got a second delivery out in the wilds. In fact, the 'morning' post often didn't arrive until afternoon!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got my Great Aunt's postcard album. She was a cook in a big house in London, near Harrods in the early 20th century. She would send a postcard in the morning to her home in the northern suburbs saying she was coming for tea, and they would receive it and have the tea ready when she arrived!!
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Last call for swap I will be sending pms this evening
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post