Thread: Help! Ugly bits need disguising!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Ugly bits need disguising!

I've made up some die-cut decoupage - this Hunkydory sheet to be precise. I decided to be a smart ar5e & converted it to a shaker card (well, topper ATM, I haven't mounted it on a card yet!) by making an acetate sandwich with the last 2 layers, like you would if you made invertage into a shaker topper.

It took a bit of engineering & glitter (to hide the foam tape), but the result is rather lovely if I do say so myself :D

BUT - the side view is pretty ugly as it's not an even view of the foam pads & tapes used to build up the image as it would be if it were regular invertage & I'm stuck on how to disgise it.

If I get chance tomorrow, I'll try & post pics to illustrate what I mean.

The only thought I have ATM is some kind of 3D frame to set the topper inside, but that could end up quite fiddly...Hmmm...
    Don't get your knickers in a twist; nothing is solved & it makes you walk funny....

My Womblings

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to suggest those hold it all in pants before I read your post !!:devil:

Post Thanks / Like

mmm I guess you want a card with a deep aperture but with the back not removed, so you can sort of drop it in..not sure I've seen those tbh only as frames...have to think about this one Welly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i was about to suggest those hold it all in pants before i read your post !!:devil:
    roflmao!!!!
    Don't get your knickers in a twist; nothing is solved & it makes you walk funny....

My Womblings

craftycat Guest

without having seen the topper, cut an aperture in a pretty piece of card, make some of those concertina bits for the sides then mount the whole thing on the final "backing" card.

Just thought, then try standing it upright and sob when it falls over cos the front is too heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if I have understood, but I take it that you have created an invertage where the outside edge of all the layers is more or less even?

Have you thought about creating a frame around the edge so that it covers the sides?
    You could make it look like a picture frame.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got pics now...

This is the shaker:

First side (right hand as you look at it (not good but not too horrific):

My Womblings

Post Thanks / Like

Now for the really not so good - the top (bit fuzzy, but you get the idea):

And finally, just plain horrible, the left side (as you look at it):

Just looks so untidy. I think most of the problem has been caused by the fact that the sections are not a full frame, so I had to hold up the acetate in the corner, but could only really use pads, then you get the shaker sandwich which of course needs to use foam tape.

I've toyed with the idea of ribbon...Hmmm...

My Womblings

In the picnic basket next to the jam sandwiches
    Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with putting it into a box card, that way all the ugly stuff will be hidden? Failing that just make a long strip of card slightly larger than the depth, or even say 1cm longer than the depth, score a line where the top of the shaker is (top layer I mean) and fold back, it will look sort of like a upside down letter L. Then wrap the upright piece around the mess and the scored over piece will look like a 1cm frame.... (change the 1cm for any size that suits). This is making perfect sense in my head but probably looks like a right mess on here!

Looby

Post Thanks / Like

A sticky backed ribbon round it. May make attaching it easier than trying to use a adhesive to attach it.