Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decopatch

Post Thanks / Like

It's a French company and I met the director at Stitch & Craft this year. The paper is very flimsy so to absorb the glue/varnish once dry the colours are very vibrant. I've written about that meeting with the decopatch lady on craft critique : http://www.craftcritique.com/2010/04...-craft-uk.html

Decopatch is the last bit on the article. I bought some glue years back but it's a bit cold sensitive and didn't have the right consistency so the year before I met another independent supplier and told him about my concern that it seemed a bit too tacky once dry. He gave me another bottle and that one worked perfectly giving a lovely matt finish with a subtle sheen. I tend to use it with very flimsy paper over some cardstock to give it rigidity like I did on this oriental card.
    Fab

My Kimtag Profile ! :)

craftycat Guest

Wow Fab, where did you find that lovely peeloff dragon?

Post Thanks / Like

How scary, I'm doing decopatch at the moment, I've covered several of the Ikea pine mirrors, I did a pink oriental one for my mum, a zebra one, and covered a wood bracelet with the zebra print, I'm doing a union jack/london one at the mo for hubby. I tend to get them at craft fairs, my friend has covered allsorts with hers, plantpots, trays etc, it's very relaxing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by angela; 11-08-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    http://simbablogspot.blogspot.com

hopefully this will link to my blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craftycat View Post
    Wow Fab, where did you find that lovely peeloff dragon?
    I have a big box where all the oriental kits I get end up in....I think it was a QVC kit I bought many moons ago which had that dragon.
    Fab

My Kimtag Profile ! :)

Post Thanks / Like

There was a stall at summer crafting which I briefly stopped at as they had some beautiful mdf letters and words which were decopatched so I took their card so I could order from the internet as I just couldnt physically carry any more and blow me, the site is there but there are no prices on it at all. So glad I have found this thread as I had no idea where else I could get the papers and the adhesives.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just brought some pebbles back from hols to Decopatch, I'm off to SCC on saturday so going to get some more papers to use for the pebbles, I'm also doing another mirror for hubbies birthday with union jack and london memorabilia on it.
    http://simbablogspot.blogspot.com

hopefully this will link to my blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how new terms are invented for old crafts as modern methods take on the old name. I have not heard the term decopatch before. Decoupage to me was taking printed napkins, peeling apart the layers and using mod podge to apply to furniture, candles etc. and then varnishing/crackle glazing.
    3D decoupage was using five or six identical prints and cutting ( with a knife), shaping, overlapping and layering to bring out the front of the image. It took hours and was so rewarding. Then came step by step where the images were pre-selected for you, the paper already glossy, it was quick and easy , does make good toppers, but has lost the shaping and overlapping and the old style crafting skill and technique is rarely seen or taught anymore.
    Now we have pre-cut by machine, pop out and stick ...

Post Thanks / Like

I had a go at some decopatch when I went to the Stitch and Craft show at Olympia a couple of weeks ago, the stand attracted me because of the wonderful colours. Here are some photos I took of the stand. The elephant was a large model they were working on during the show. I bought lots of paper, and cat and a westie to decopatch, haven't got round to starting yet though.

IMG_0695.jpgIMG_0693.jpgIMG_0694.jpgIMG_0690.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I also thought this was called decoupage - I believe it was done by the common people during Victorian times to cover old furniture etc... but I think it's wonderful. Of course, now all I could find on the subject was the 3D type of layering of images. However, I did come across the Decopatch stuff at a local Craft shop (Ely) and she stocks papers and the figures. I'm sitting staring at one my daughter and I did together (small dinosaur). I have also used the napkins/tissues, which give a different effect, and covered shapes, etc. I thought I might use the technique on box files and folders to keep my paperwork in and also for a chest of drawers that need a makeover - perhaps just cover the drawer fonts and replace the boring handles with some glass or porcelain ones....... Nice to see that others also enjoy this craft art - I've never been to a craft show, which is very sad indeed - but I don't get the time to go down to London - it's a loooong way on the train from Ely!
    x

Post Thanks / Like

I did 'decopatch' a couple of blocks of wood a couple of summers ago using images printed for the purpose, beginning with 'm', used to sell them on C&C, can't remember what they're called. Anyway, they worked well as pieces of art! x

Mamelok images!! Thats what they're called. xx
    Last edited by Fenpeper; 04-05-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Remembered something! x