Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MCS - getting the best from it

Post Thanks / Like

Default MCS - getting the best from it

Hi everyone and I'm so sorry to raise this if I'm being thick. I've been checking back and I can't find any threads asking about it, but if there is one, please point me to it. Thanks.

I'm reasonably computer literate, and have bought several crafty CD-roms, mostly MCS and a few Debbi Moores (which I can use, no problem!). I bought the POTD this week as I got it last time and felt I should keep it going. Why, I don't know, cos I never seem to use them! So I want to get SOME value for my money (my middley looked at that d&*m rabbit and said 'Good Heavens!').

My problem is this: How the blazes do I use the wretched MCS programs properly? I've looked at the help on the program, and on the website, but I just never seem to be able to do anything other than open things and look at them. Some of the designs are in several parts, but when you open them there's no way to make sure they are all going to fit together. How on earth do I make some of these cards? I just don't get it. On the Violet one there are decoupage frames and the top pieces are a different scale. What's going on? Am I really that stupid? Please somebody, point me to a tutorial or some advice that would show me. They never seem to explain it on the shows either - how to make sure everything will print out properly. And how big is everything anyway! See - I'm a mess. Help me. Help me.....help....me....((faints))

Post Thanks / Like

I am really interested in this too. I also would like to know, how to change the size of the area you are working in. For example, I would like to print directly onto my card but am not sure if things will look right and to the right scale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmazza View Post
    I am really interested in this too. I also would like to know, how to change the size of the area you are working in. For example, I would like to print directly onto my card but am not sure if things will look right and to the right scale.
    To change the size of the the area you are working in Professional you need to click on the "print" menu at the top and you can then alter the page size and whether you want it to be portrait or landscape.

Post Thanks / Like

Ring their helpline they're usually quite helpful with all the techie stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyKatkin View Post
    Hi everyone and I'm so sorry to raise this if I'm being thick. I've been checking back and I can't find any threads asking about it, but if there is one, please point me to it. Thanks.

I'm reasonably computer literate, and have bought several crafty CD-roms, mostly MCS and a few Debbi Moores (which I can use, no problem!). I bought the POTD this week as I got it last time and felt I should keep it going. Why, I don't know, cos I never seem to use them! So I want to get SOME value for my money (my middley looked at that d&*m rabbit and said 'Good Heavens!').

My problem is this: How the blazes do I use the wretched MCS programs properly? I've looked at the help on the program, and on the website, but I just never seem to be able to do anything other than open things and look at them. Some of the designs are in several parts, but when you open them there's no way to make sure they are all going to fit together. How on earth do I make some of these cards? I just don't get it. On the Violet one there are decoupage frames and the top pieces are a different scale. What's going on? Am I really that stupid? Please somebody, point me to a tutorial or some advice that would show me. They never seem to explain it on the shows either - how to make sure everything will print out properly. And how big is everything anyway! See - I'm a mess. Help me. Help me.....help....me....((faints))
    I am not sure what was on the last POD as I didnt get it but on many of the MCS CDs there are Element Sheets which give you the elements to make up a complete card and this may be a good place to start. You could also use one of these to get used to sizing the elements you want for your own design; leave on on the sheets on the page and use it as a size template for your own design. A lot of the images do come in as large sizes and you need to click on them and resize by clicking on the image and using the handles (the corner ones keep it in perspective) to resize. The whole point of MCS is that you can have any size you want but this can seem (and often does to me) overwhelming. I'm not sure if this helps but I have to say I do wonder how many MCS CDs are bought and never used!

Edited to say that the element sheets are usually in the stationery folder.

craftycat Guest

Don't think you can resize that way(click and drag?) with the Professional style CDs though can you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karriepie View Post
    Ring their helpline they're usually quite helpful with all the techie stuff.
    I have thought of that, but my bafflement is so complete I think it would be a long call. All the help available is about the buttons not actually what to DO with the programs, which is really where I struggle. Like cmazza says, things need to be printed out to see, but I'm wary of wasting card and ink. I just hoped that someone who uses them a lot would give me a few pointers is all. I guess I'll just have another fiddle...but thanks for the tip anyway. xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craftycat View Post
    Don't think you can resize that way(click and drag?) with the Professional style CDs though can you?
    Sorry if I have not made things clear. OK. You click on the folder you want and the images appear below on the left hand side. Click on the image you have chosen and drag it to the "page". Make sure this image is live; if it is it will have little boxes on each corner and each side. If they are not there just click on the image and they will appear. To resize you need to stretch or diminish the image by hovering over the little box, the arrow head will change to a double arrow, left click, hold down the button and drag in or out to make smaller or larger. If you want to keep the image in proportion you need to use a corner one; if you pull or push on a side or top one it will stretch or diminish in that direction.

You can also resize by again draging the image on to the page, make sure the image is selected (click to show little boxes). Then go to the bottom of the page where you will see "page size" "left" "top", etc. Between "width" and "height" there is a little chain. The default is grey and if you leave it like this you can alter the image proportionally, e.g., if the image width is currently 15cm and you change it to 10 cm it will deminish the height by a third too. If want to change the width and the height separately then click on the little chain.

Hope this is clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyKatkin View Post
    I have thought of that, but my bafflement is so complete I think it would be a long call. All the help available is about the buttons not actually what to DO with the programs, which is really where I struggle. Like cmazza says, things need to be printed out to see, but I'm wary of wasting card and ink. I just hoped that someone who uses them a lot would give me a few pointers is all. I guess I'll just have another fiddle...but thanks for the tip anyway. xx
    I think that the problem is they are not click and print; in fact they are a long way from it. There are usually some quick cards that you just print directly. If they are on your CDs they should be under "Stationery", "cards". There are also the element sheets I commented on before which will give you all the components of a card, after that you are really on your own. You are designing the whole card on the page, you can then print out each layer separately if you want to or you can print out your completed design. Do you want to design your own cards from scratch? I have come to the conclusion I rarely want to design on the MCS page, I prefer to design while making the card. I find the blank page quite daunting. I may pull over a backing sheet and print, or pull two over and resize them so they fit on the one page. I might change the colour so they go with each other and the overall design. I find I only use the toppers occasionally as, even on the CDs I bought I find few that I like:mysmilie_465:

If you keep playing with it you will understand more about how the programme works and I am sure others (and me) will offer help where we can.

craftycat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Penny View Post
    Sorry if I have not made things clear. OK. You click on the folder you want and the images appear below on the left hand side. Click on the image you have chosen and drag it to the "page". Make sure this image is live; if it is it will have little boxes on each corner and each side. If they are not there just click on the image and they will appear. To resize you need to stretch or diminish the image by hovering over the little box, the arrow head will change to a double arrow, left click, hold down the button and drag in or out to make smaller or larger. If you want to keep the image in proportion you need to use a corner one; if you pull or push on a side or top one it will stretch or diminish in that direction.

You can also resize by again draging the image on to the page, make sure the image is selected (click to show little boxes). Then go to the bottom of the page where you will see "page size" "left" "top", etc. Between "width" and "height" there is a little chain. The default is grey and if you leave it like this you can alter the image proportionally, e.g., if the image width is currently 15cm and you change it to 10 cm it will deminish the height by a third too. If want to change the width and the height separately then click on the little chain.

Hope this is clear.
    Brilliant description!!

I don't have any of the Pro CDs but knew there was something different. Now if Dianne (?) explained it that way on her demos instead of slinging all sorts of extra images on, it would help a lot!

Still makes me think I don't want to invest in any of the MCS Pros though. I want to enjoy my cardmaking and fiddling with things like this on CDs isn't fun as far as I'm concerned.