Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sewing mag?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New sewing mag?

In wh smiths today they had a magazine for sewing, it had stuff in the package like material, stuffing ,buttons, you could make a bag and something else with the contents, also there was a pattern for an Amy Butler bag, not sure if it was a new mag or issue3, it was £7.99, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about lol, I can't remember the name of the mag lol
    http://simbablogspot.blogspot.com

hopefully this will link to my blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angela View Post
    In wh smiths today they had a magazine for sewing, it had stuff in the package like material, stuffing ,buttons, you could make a bag and something else with the contents, also there was a pattern for an Amy Butler bag, not sure if it was a new mag or issue3, it was £7.99, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about lol, I can't remember the name of the mag lol
    C'mon someone...........spill the beans!

Post Thanks / Like

Homestyle Sewing? or something like that. I think it will be issue 3 (is it quarterly?). I haven't had one yet but thought I might try it as Simply Homemade was so Simply Disappointing (and Sew Hip is so same-y, and Sewing World is plainly a throwback from last century and everything else needlework-y is so lame...lame...lame. Sorry, but if I have to look at any more 'dimensional' embroidery I think I might get cross! lol). However, I predict that once I have parted with my £7.99, I will find it contains Crushing Disappointment. I had to go to Birmingham yesterday for a treat, so I'm feeling a wee bit skint today, but we're off to the charity shop for a prom dress shortly, so if I pick one up I'll let you know.
    Kate x

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Crushing Disappointment, Angie! Save your pennies for fabric. It's pretty and there are lots of nice-y nice-y projects BUT at least 2 of them are from Cath Kidston's SEW. All the projects seem to be lifted from books (and only 3 or 4 books at that), so if you have the book you're just buying the project again. The cover gift is stuff to make a monster. There is an Amy Butler pattern, however, which is fine and makes me feel less robbed. Don't get me wrong, it's fine, but it's all very basic and you can make most of it without a pattern or directions of any kind anyway (a quilt made of 7.5 inch squares?? really!?). Bunting. A tote bag....
    It's pretty. I won't be rushing to buy it again, but then I've been sewing all my life really, so I guess it's just not aimed at me lol
    Kate x

Post Thanks / Like

awwww, sorry you were dissaponted honey, I saw it and umed and ahed, I thought it would be too good to be true, so went with my instinct for once lol, thought I would have a crafts beautiful moment (I occasionally but it and am always dissapointed), have you bought issue 3 of simply homemade? pondering that one too, lol, just for the free gift mind!
    I bought a metre of calico yesterday, gonna make some flower brooches and spray ink them, should keep me quiet for a bit. Thanks for your review, x

Post Thanks / Like

I have just been into our local tesco store, they have moved one of the mag units, ok its spacey now, but not many craft mags at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't know issue 3 of SH was out actually Angie, so I haven't bought it (so far). What's the gift? I got an e-mail from them asking what kind of free gifts I thought would be good (they keep e-mailing surveys, they must be desperate!), but I bet what they stick on the front will differ from what they were showing (K&Co, Papermania...you know..) lol.

I love magazines, and I enjoy inspiration and ads (particularly with sewing - always looking for good suppliers), but I never make anything from them, lol. The best mags are American, though. I love Cloth, Paper, Scissors and I take Quilting Arts as well and there are a lot of Stampington magazines I would buy if I could get them. I miss Borders! They used to sell fabulous magazines.
    Kate x

Post Thanks / Like

Just found this in my email - a new crafts mag coming soon. Have a peek!
    Kate x

Post Thanks / Like

naughty Kate lol, where can we buy that one? lol

Post Thanks / Like

I got the issue 3 simply Homemade - still not sure about it - free gift is ribbon, buttons and few pretty papers, but to be fair not yet 'read' just flicked through, there is a large glass project and some tray bakes. Still think it's trying to find it's niche, but I want craft in a craft mag not recipes.

I was thinking of cancelling my sub of Crafts beautiful if this was any good but at the moment I'm not sure, as I can't really judge from just these early issues.