Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another lonely category

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies :D

I'm thinking about putting a new sewing machine on my list for Santa this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I have quite a new sewing machine, a Singer which I got last year which is really good and does loads of cool things! I got it to replace the very old (1970s) and basic electronic machine that was my mothers, I used to make things on it when i was younger. I suspect that the new one will really only be used for very basic things as I find that the time that it takes to make clothes isn't worth the effort. My mum used to knit and crochet most of our clothes when we were children as they couldn't afford to buy them, but nowadays you can kit a child out for school very cheaply in comparison. So I guess that's why people don't make their own clothes so much nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a janome sewing machine which I love!! have had it for about 10 years now.
    My wishlist keeps getting longer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm old enough that I went to school in the days when girls were taught needlework & dressmaking. I know how to roll a seam, french seams, turn and stitch hems, buttonholes etc. Skills that now by and large I don't use (aprt from hems, buttons. making curtains). We even learned how to mend holes in our school tights which stood me in good stead when I started work and "wasted" my money so I never seemed to have a new pair of tights in the drawer!

I also made lots of baby clothes for my brother's and sister's and friends children but hand knits that really ARE hand knitted don't seem to be fashionable, although I see shops like Next, GAP etc selling machine made "handknitted" outfits.

I sound like an old granny but I'm only 53. To me, its startling to look back and realise how things have changed over the last 20 to 30 years.

Linda

PS no offence to old grannies, my mum is one.

Pam Guest

That sounds like the schooling I had ERICS MUM, I loved needlework but the teacher was very, very strict. We were also taught that you only hand sew hems, never machine them. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Eric's Mum you are the same age as me,and I remember those type needle work classes , we had a very strict teacher of about 104:D with very thick bent nails on her hands, from as she told us all the hand sewing, enough to put anyone offI had to make my own cloths back then as I was so small nothing in the shops fitted me,only paper pattens that would fit me at 16 were aimed at 9 year olds:o so the teacher had me making my own patterns,I made all my own outfits untill I was about 25 but then dress making became too expensive and time consuming so I just bought larger sizes and adapted them, now my time is taken up by taking up lol, all my daughters trousers even though she not quite as short as me she is 5,1 but petit is still a little long in the leg ,as for me at a lanky 4,10 I have to shorten everything and have become a dab hand at hemming a skirt or trouser legs in no time at all and may I add all nicely by hand lol so my needle work lessons paid off in the end , most off my daughters mates could not even sew on a button let alone do a hem so I spent many years doing their alterations and making costumes for school plays where they had offered to do it and passed it on to me I have now told my daughter that at nearly 23 and becoming a teacher herself its about time she mastered sewing herself:p

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid my "dressmaking" skills only go so far as to wonderweb a hem or sew buttons so I have much admiration for all you seemstresses :)
    My Gran used to sew everything, she made her own curtains & matching furniture covers & was always immaculately dressed (in dresses, not curtains :D)
    What is the most complicated thing you've made??
    kookietiger

now where did I put my ..............

Post Thanks / Like

I had needlework lessons like that. OMG how I hated it. Sewing did not and still doesn't. I was much better and woodwork and metalwork :D

Post Thanks / Like

I designed and made my wedding dress.

lolathelamb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ERICS MUM View Post
    I'm old enough that I went to school in the days when girls were taught needlework & dressmaking. I know how to roll a seam, french seams, turn and stitch hems, buttonholes etc. Skills that now by and large I don't use (aprt from hems, buttons. making curtains). We even learned how to mend holes in our school tights which stood me in good stead when I started work and "wasted" my money so I never seemed to have a new pair of tights in the drawer!

I also made lots of baby clothes for my brother's and sister's and friends children but hand knits that really ARE hand knitted don't seem to be fashionable, although I see shops like Next, GAP etc selling machine made "handknitted" outfits.

I sound like an old granny but I'm only 53. To me, its startling to look back and realise how things have changed over the last 20 to 30 years.

Linda

PS no offence to old grannies, my mum is one.
    Snap! I'm also 53 and must have gone to the same lessons as you! We made pinnies, cushions and, wait for it, a pair of shorts! Then I moved o Cyprus and never wore the shorts! Later, I had more lessons and made a lovely polyester crimplene frock. Guess how much I wore that!

I can also darn - last time I used that skill was a few weeks ago when I found a very tiny hole in a newish top but didn't think I would/could take it back. Now It's an old top but I can still wear it - around the flat. Good darning but not my best way to present myself.

I knit a lot - friends keep having new grandchildren. But I am now knitting myself a summer cardigan - for next summer? No sewing machine now.

Good idea to revive this thread, Linda.