Thread: Swaps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swaps

Just wanted to say a few words about the swaps that we have here on Craft Telly, please, please, please, dont think that you are not 'good enough' to join in any of the swaps that we have and there are many, card swap, birthday swap, tag swap, secret swaps and i am sure i have probably missed some too, it isnt about 'good enough' its about the giving and receiving of a handmade card, its about making and giving someone your time, your attention, your thoughts and your commitment to make something for someone else just for the joy

No card is dismissed, all are appreciated for what they stand for, the fact that someone has willingly given their time and efforts to make and send something to you, ok so it may not be the worlds best handmade card, that doesnt say it hasn't had as much consideration and attention given to it as the best card of the bunch, so dont dismiss the swaps as something 'not for you' because you dont feel 'good enough' try one, they are a great way to get new ideas, new ways of doing things, and you never know you may just like it, oh and dont forget you will also get a card sent to you!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments Rainbowwand, everyone has to start somewhere. I do wonder though whether people are having to think again what kind of card to put in the swap as postage can be expensive for some kinds of cards. We don't want to cramp anyone's creativity, but you do have to bear in mind that its not only the weight, size and thickness of what you are sending.

In the picnic basket next to the jam sandwiches
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to confess to crafting my swaps with the postage in mind since they increased the postage in April. It's now a ridiculous amount of money to post any large card so I have been trying to keep them flat and small. Apologies that mine are not all flouncey like they used to be

Post Thanks / Like

I have just joined the Birhtday Card swap and must admit its very daunting at first but am starting to enjoy its nice to send to people whos taste you are not sure about and everyone's comments are very nice .
    So if you are dithering about joining a swap like i did (for about 2 years )I would say go for it you wont regret it.
    Ann

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all that has been said, I joined the craft swap when it was over on S.T after stumbling on it when searching about ideal world, Rainbowwand was very kind in emailing me all the details, and I was so worried about my first swap I sent 2 cards just to make sure,I know they were not a patch on the other swappers but the kind response I got to my efforts made me want to keep going,this must be nearly 6 yeras ago and I have never looked back,many swappers have been in since the start and its like a on line family and I would Like to say that Joan has become a dear on line friend.
    So to anyone who has been hesitant on dipping their toes in the water,go on jump right in.

I agree with Looby, I now consider the size and weight of the card I make, as I got a shock when I took a not greatly weighty or embellished card to the PO and it cost me 75p 1st class and took 5days to get there:angry:

Post Thanks / Like

Having just done Dips hatpin swap, my first ever, and the easter one, I decided to have a wander through the swaps thread and came across this post from last year.

So this is me asking how do I join one of the regular swaps such as the Birthday one that is mentioned please - purely selfish wanting to join a birthday one as I only receive a handmade one from one friend and she has been suffering from no craft mojo for some time now - and when it is a family member's birthday they all get a few handmade cards as, of course, I make them for all the family not only to receive but send as well. I did get a handmade one last year from my work colleagues - they had forgotten my birthday so when someone reminded them on the day they bought one of my cards from the charity table and sent me it - would you think me unkind if I said I wasnt really amused by that act.

So if there is a place on any of the regular swaps could I please be considered or if there is a waiting list, can I be added to it please. Seriously, it would be lovely to receive a card made by one of the many extremely talented crafters on this forum.

Thank you.

Jacqui xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Jacqui; Looby Lou is still sorting for the birthday swap she runs; so pm her, Little Jan's starts again in January; she'll pop a post asking if anyone else wants to join in about then

Post Thanks / Like

My Birthday Card Lite Swap also starts in January - and it can be a nice starting point for swappers as you are guaranteed to have no more than 1 birthday a month. Exisiting swap member have first refusal and then I post a thread about "free" months in December. Do watch out for it.