Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown Challenge 3 - June

Post Thanks / Like

It looks very interesting - how exactly did you do it? Do you stick the napkin to an empty page in the journal or can you just add pages and then bind them all together? So the hare was already there and you added the lettering? What do you mean about painting over the napkin - is that a kind of wash? I’m just curious to learn a bit more about these techniques!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    It looks very interesting - how exactly did you do it? Do you stick the napkin to an empty page in the journal or can you just add pages and then bind them all together? So the hare was already there and you added the lettering? What do you mean about painting over the napkin - is that a kind of wash? I’m just curious to learn a bit more about these techniques!
    I gessoed the journal page to give a base to work on. Separated the napkin ply to leave just the top layer and tore off one quarter (the image is repeated on each quarter.). The image is a hare with a fern and a few flowers. I think I also tore the cut edges so as not to get a hard line. Glued this to the page with mod podge matt. The quarter napkin is smaller than the page so there was a lot of empty space around the edges. So I used some Dylusions acrylic paints in shades of green along the bottom and sides, and blue for sky. I blended some colours to try to match the colours in the napkin - I remember mixing a touch of orange into the green to get an olive shade. The napkin itself has just a white background so I painted the (watered down) light blue around the hare and flowers too.

Next I sponged the same green paints through a Dylusions leaf stencil along the top and down the sides and used a fine paintbrush to make grass blades at the bottom. Also, I had torn the napkin slightly when smoothing it out and lost a section of stem in a really obvious place so I painted in a replacement section of stem.

Now onto the die cuts. Ages and ages ago, I had die-cut some Tim Holtz wildflowers in white card and coloured them with diluted distress inks, then didn’t use them at the time. I moved them around on the page until I had decided which to use and where to put them, then took a photo so I wouldn’t forget. Then glued them down. Similarly I already had the black birds on a wire cut out (again, I was going to use them on a card but hadn’t got round to it) so just glued them on.

I never like my writing on journal pages so I had a look through my alphabet die sets for one small enough to fit which would also suit the feel of the page. Final touch was the butterfly - I thought the hare needed something to look at. An earlier thought was to use a die cut swallow but it was a bit big so decided on a butterfly. Originally I had a smaller unrealistic pink one on there but when I rediscovered my scrap sheets there was a nice peacock butterfly which is exactly what I had seen on my walks, so I ripped the pink one off the page and replaced it with this one.

Sorry this is so long but you did ask!
    Last edited by Mitzi; 22-06-2020 at 01:26 AM.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On the left is the completed page and on the right is a napkin piece laid on a blank journal page.

IMG_20200622_123103.jpg
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You’ve put in a lot of work there Mitzi and used so many products and techniques. The before and after photos give us a good idea of what you added to the basic napkin. Thanks for all the details! I like the idea of using a napkin but then adding detail around it. A friend asked for a card with a beach sunset and I die cut an image on my Silhouette and tried my best to blend inks etc around the die cut so that it all appeared as one image - similar idea but not as much detail as yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Category 3: something 3-d

My first card with the Karen Burniston tag book pop-up die set.

IMG_20200627_175615.jpg

IMG_20200627_175658.jpg

IMG_20200627_175912.jpg

I'm quite happy with it. A few things I will do differently next time but once you get the hang of it, it's quite straight forward.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Borderline View Post
    Another 3-d effort, with faces as well. I don't know why I bought the pop-up box set as it's far from my usual 'thing' but I am enjoying playing.

Borderline that is so cut, I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzi View Post
    Category 3: something 3-d

My first card with the Karen Burniston tag book pop-up die set.

IMG_20200627_175615.jpg

IMG_20200627_175658.jpg

IMG_20200627_175912.jpg

I'm quite happy with it. A few things I will do differently next time but once you get the hang of it, it's quite straight forward.
    Lovely Mtizi.

Wish I could see your photos properly. They are only showing very small for me.

I had an email from Hixxysoft showing those dies.

Post Thanks / Like

Lost my mojo lately and this card is the only one to meet the theme of green. The base card is a Centura Pearl green. The birthday cake is a new Gemini Hot Foil stamp. The sentiment was done using the Foil Quill with my Cameo 3. The parcels cut from a Tonic die in miri card and I stuck the pieces back in. The bow is also a Tonic die.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That’s lovely. The foiling is so precise, it looks really professional but so personal too.

Post Thanks / Like

She’s lucky to have such a lovely (and crafty) mother in law! My late mother in law was a treasure too.