Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it with me? lol

Post Thanks / Like

My grandma learned me how to knit when I was 5 and Ive never had a problem with any pattern but like your lady said Roz, crochet is a whole different ball game. Talking of Kerry, I saw her on C&C a few days ago, scheech! there were 3 little C******** figures just under a hundred of your squids and then they brought out a set of 12 lickle birds at just under two hundred squids! I nearly choked. Very expensive IMO, 'specially for a once a year outing.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmissis View Post
    My grandma learned me how to knit when I was 5 and Ive never had a problem with any pattern but like your lady said Roz, crochet is a whole different ball game. Talking of Kerry, I saw her on C&C a few days ago, scheech! there were 3 little C******** figures just under a hundred of your squids and then they brought out a set of 12 lickle birds at just under two hundred squids! I nearly choked. Very expensive IMO, 'specially for a once a year outing.
    OMG!!!! Eye watering.

I found the best crochet patterns were in the 70's and I mostly found in women's magazines. I started with a babies angel top and a carrying cape with a hood, then a dress and pram cover. If anyone remembers Mrs. Cropley in the Vicar of Dibbly, the turquoise crochet sleeveless cardigan she wore I made an identical one in the 70's same colour too. I also made a longer version in red. My daughter used the baby crochet items for her dolls as she got older. In the late 70's when I had a wool and baby wear shop made baby crochet loopy bonnets to sell. I had a pattern I think it was by Sirdar for 'Lamb Chop', a hand puppet on tv at the time. The instructions were for crochet and knitted. Those were the days when even branded patterns were cheap, brought out to sell the wool.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I nearly fainted at the price JM. I reckon I could probably make up my own as most of her designs are more or less the same basic pattern. I used to buy an alpaca blend from Shelby's shop, I managed to get three palomino ponies and a polar bear from two balls of the stuff. Can't remember how much it was, but it was less than four of those squids a ball, might even have been less than three.

My gran taught me to knit and crochet, though how she didn't kill me with the knitting I have no idea. I struggled with the first stitch, was ok until the last one, so it was a constant helllllllppppppppppp grandma. Silly when you think about it, the first and last stitches are exactly the same as the rest. What a muffin I was! ;)

Ah Lamb Chop, I still have that pattern and Hush Puppy. The patterns themselves are looking the worse for wear, obviously in the days before plastic punch folders. Haven't used them in years, but I am not parting with them. I used to love watching Shari Lewis manipulate the puppets. She was almost as good as Ray Allen with his assorted puppets. I think my favourites were the white glove with just lips and eyes, and of course the very cheeky Lord Charles.

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

My son was born in 1981 and I crocheted loads of stuff for him and didn't have any trouble with the patterns then. Still got a lot of the patterns I used.

My Mum taught me to knit at about that age too JM, she always had knitting on the go. I remember when I was about nine teaching my friends at school how to do purl lol.

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I think alot of the trouble is these days there's so much to occupy peoples minds - hobby wise - whereas back in the day, we'd no tellies just the trusty old radio and we learnt how to do these things. We girls did have domestic science at school for baking and cooking meals and machine sewing for everyday garments but these days school curriculums have to cram so much into the days its not possible to learn simple stuff. And also I think the earlier youngsters learn things the better it sticks in their minds. I used to knit everything for all my babies and as they grew older too but these days mums seem to prefer shop bought stuff to handmade. I learnt my girls to knit and sew but they don't do any of it, I know they both work hard but they sit playing games on their b***** phones rather than doing something constructive!
    Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

I know my Mum used to knit stuff for my sister and me because it was cheaper than buying ready made stuff. These days it isn't is it? Much more expensive to buy yarn for a jumper than to buy a ready made one. Like you JM I don't think I ever bought anything knitted for my son until he was three or four. Don't think I ever made anything for him in material probably because he was a boy lol but used to make most of my own dresses and skirts.

I used to love knitting those beautiful matinee jackets.

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I loved to crochet matinee jackets but no-one seems to want them these days. All the babies in the family get dressed in baby-grows and then tiny adult clothes. Me speaking to baby in cargo trousers - "So what do you keep in your pockets?"
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Like many others I was taught to knit and sew at around the age of 6 or so. I still remember getting a starter knitting kit as a Christmas gift - it had a pair of short plastic knitting needles in it with probably 4 balls of wool in primary colours. But for the first 3 years at secondary school we had weekly cookery and needle work classes as part of the school timetable. I still make a cheese sauce using the method I was taught all those years ago. These days the school curriculum does not include those subjects. The system is obsessed with stats and even if they do something in the primary schools it is done so quickly so that they can tick it off the list.
    As children we spent time at home with our parents (usually mothers) who taught us their skills. These days kids have daily clubs so miss out on the contact time at home.
    As already mentioned our mums used to make things because less readymade items were available and it was cheaper to do so. Nowadays it costs more to make your own - yarn and fabric are certainly not cheap to buy any more.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I stopped sewing for myself due to the cost of the essentials such as patterns, zips, and thread. It cost more for them than it did for the material.

I have bought some very reasonably priced baby yarn, a couple of pounds for 150 grams from Poundstretcher. On the other hand I have parted with £8 to £9 for a ball of sock yarn. Shelby had some lovely yarn last year at a mere £25 a ball. Mind you it was a light as a feather, and had silk in it. The most I have paid is £18, both are hanks, and both include silk.

We have to use acrylic for the baby clothes, no cotton, and nothing with wool in it. No holes in the pattern either, though that is allowed for the still born babies. We are allowed to use what we want for twiddle muffs, shawls and lap blankets for the dementia patients.

Which reminds me, Penistone Knitting Group, who I knit/crochet for, have been nominated for a Barnsley Spirit Award. Sheryl was sent 100 medals, which she has distributed amongst those of us who are the top knitters/crocheters. Meeeeee was given one, will wear it with pride when next we meet in Barnsley library, which is not going to be anytime soon. :( In the meantime I will put it in my display cabinet with the letter to keep it safe. :)

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    I know my Mum used to knit stuff for my sister and me because it was cheaper than buying ready made stuff. These days it isn't is it? Much more expensive to buy yarn for a jumper than to buy a ready made one. Like you JM I don't think I ever bought anything knitted for my son until he was three or four. Don't think I ever made anything for him in material probably because he was a boy lol but used to make most of my own dresses and skirts.

I used to love knitting those beautiful matinee jackets.
    This is true of sewing as well. Mum used to make our clothes and as I got a bit older, so did I. I remember "very easy very Vogue" patterns being my favourite. I never did much knitting as a child but got really into it when I went to Uni. It was far cheaper to make clothes than buy them. But then along came the cheap fast fashion stores, and for some reason fabric and yarn prices went through the roof, and suddenly making your own clothes became a luxury.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post